AutoCAD versus AutoCAD LT

Scott Weiss

I am having trouble finding (on this website, or on any CAD advertising website) exactly what the differences are between regular $4000 AutoCAD 2008 and the LT version. I know 3D is one issue (I don't use it), as is some level of customization (does that mean something as simple as command aliases or does that refer to more complex customization such as lisp routines, etc.)? What about other commands? I've been using regular CAD for 2D architectural work for 15 years and would like to go off on my own, meaning I need to buy the program. I do not want to sacrifice usability for cost, but also don't want to sacrifice $4000 if I don't need to.:)

good question...

http://www.cadtutor.net/faq/questions/21/What+is+the+difference+between+AutoCAD+%28full%29+and+AutoCAD+LT%3F

I'm looking forward to us being able to launch this bit of the site properly - but it's still in the constuction phase :wink:

I believe there are now Dynamic Block capabilities in LT. Now that the Layer tools are no longer in Express, those are available as well. I still think Express Tools will be sorely missed in LT. You can still get the free trials of both Full and LT as well as other products to compare. Autodesk Products

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of the differences between Full and LT:

Missing Drawing commands:

Mline

MlEdit

MlStyle

Sketch

Missing Raster/Image commands:

ImageAttach

ImageClip

ImageQuality

ImageAdjust

Transparency

Missing Common commands:

XClip

VPClip

QDim

DXBin

Load

PsIn

PsOut

PsFill

Shell

Align

Cal

Attredef

Battman

Battorder

Attsync

Eattedit

Eattext

Refedit

Attsync

Mline

Bedit (added in LT2007)

Missing Variables:

Offsetgaptype

FieldEval

ACADLSPASDOC

USERS1-5

OSNAPZ

Missing Extras:

Truecolor abilities (256 limit)

MVSETUP

LISP

VLisp

NetLoad command

VBA, DBconnect

ARX/ObjectARX

ActiveX

Most functions from Express Tools (Layers added in LT2007)

Object Snap Tracking (OTRACK added in LT2007)

Table Fields

Sheet Set Manager (SSM),

Expanded PUBLISH (DWF only option in LT)

And of course no 3D functionality.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Any compatibility problems with regular AutoCAD files, and am I able to use old files in LT??

Now to decide whether to spend $4K and be SURE I have what I want, or less and take a chance. Wow that's a lot of money!:shock:

Heck if you don't need or desire 3D capabilities and you aren't restricted (by clients, etc.) to Autodesk products you might look into using QCad.

You could even do drawings in OpenOffice Draw which is free of charge. Search around and you'll find even more products that are less expensive that Autodesk.

If you like using Autodesk products I would recommend going with the higher priced full version of Acad or even Arch. Desktop over LT, but that's me. I hate LT due to its lack of features and commands that are in the full version(s). Of course there are add-ons that add functionality you can get for LT which may possibly be the way to go if you don't need 3D capabilities.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...