AEC Objects

mshearer

I am having some issues when I try to explode AEC objects from an architectural background that was sent to my office. When I explode the objects to remove their 3D properties, the objects lose properties that they have while unexploded. For instance, if I explode an AEC wall I lose the window and door openings and am left with a solid wall. When I perform the same function from my office mates machine, the objects do not lose their properties when exploded. Is there a button I've inadvertantly toggled on or off or some other setting I need to change?

Do both computers have AOE (architectural object enabler)?

Are you appending the selection before exploding on one computer? Not sure about a toggle, but if you select just the walls and explode you loose the AEC objects within the walls (doors/windows). However, if you select all the AEC objects and then explode the doors and windows will remain.

Instead of exploding the AEC objects, would recommend using "aectoacad" or "-exporttoautocad". These are the same command (leave it to AutoCAD to make sure there is more than one way), they come with the AOE. These commands will convert AEC objects into AutoCAD objects, even MVPARTS (which are annoying). See the help file for more info and http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2005/07/use_autocad_200.html

Let me know if you figure out the toggle, I have to deal with AEC backgrounds all the time and always looking for help.

If you have the AOE mentioned above, "AECOBJEXPLODE" while in model space with XREF's bound by inserting them, with these settings checked works rather well for me.

Explode AEC Obljects To Primitive Graphics

Current View

Maitain Resolved Layer, Color, Linetype

Erase AEC Objects

I believe "AECOBJEXPLODE" has been phased out in AutoCAD 2008...well, at least I can't get the command to work (doesn't exist). I think I tried command in AutoCAD 2007 and couldn't get it to work either.

From what I read online, sounds like "AECTOACAD"/"-EXPORTTOAUTOCAD" were introduced in 2004 and "AECOBJEXPLODE" was removed around 2006/2007, may still exist in vertical AutoCAD products (ADT/ACA & ABS/MEP).

I am running MEP 2008 and it is still included in the AOE. Lost the command not too long ago, (doesn't exist) and had to uninstall the enabler and reinstall it to get it to work again.

• 2 years later...

wow...you guys have no idea how much time/energy/frustration this just saved me. I have been working with some arch backgrounds that were extreeeeeeemely slow and difficult to work with. Turns out it was due to the AEC objects - you have just saved my firm a substantial amount of fee and which i will promptly waste watching the world cup. thanks all