Why can I not Print black and white from a 3d model in paper space

John William

I am using 2008 Autocad - I can not get the colour printer to print the model in black and white from Paper Space - all settings are for monochrome - The plot style table editor confirms that all colors are set to black - the preview shows colour - I can print black and white from model space OK - I have asked numerous collegues and the local Autocad dealer without success . - I work with light colours on a black screen in both model and paper so printing in colour means that I loose the lighter colours - my "work around" is to work in darker colours, reds, blues and greens etc but not a good answer - I'm sure it must be a simple setting - but no one so far can tell me what the answer is - HELP ?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John William

• riga

• mary

• jalba

Are you using stb or ctb plot styles?

CTB plot styles can only manage the 256 autocad colours and so if you assign to layers or ojects a light colour from true colours table they will be always printed in colours.

I'm not usedt o plot with stb plot styles but in this case (if you want to use light colour for drawing) this is the way to go. Create a new drawing based on stb plot styles, then copy and paste your drawing in it and ath the different layer you will assign the monochrome.stb plot style (style 1 =colour black).

Maybe guys who are using stb plot styles can be more clear

Be aware, with stb you can assign in each VP a different plot style by activating the VP and using the Layer manager option VP plot style.

Thanks for the help – I have changed all of the colours to standard Autocad colours –

And that makes no difference

I have spent (wasted) approx 3 hours trying to understand how the .stb files work

I have created .stb files (I think?) Autocad tells me I have – but where do they go to ?

The .stb files do not show up in the “Plot Style Table” of the plot window and I don’t know how to get them to show – so that I can select them

I have gone into the Tools – Options – Plot Style Table Settings and checked the “use named plot styles button.

I have read and re read the gobbledygook which passes for “Help” regarding .stb

I am a Mechanical Engineer who wants to design and detail – I don’t want to be an expert in the intricacies of the Autocad system – it should be a Tool and as user friendly as possible

I am Extremely Frustrated – it's 2007 with the latest version of Autocad - How hard should it be to plot in black and white ?

Any more help/advice would be very welcome - thanks

Thanks for the help – I have changed all of the colours to standard Autocad colours –

And that makes no difference

I have spent (wasted) approx 3 hours trying to understand how the .stb files work

I have created .stb files (I think?) Autocad tells me I have – but where do they go to ?

The .stb files do not show up in the “Plot Style Table” of the plot window and I don’t know how to get them to show – so that I can select them

I have gone into the Tools – Options – Plot Style Table Settings and checked the “use named plot styles button.

I have read and re read the gobbledygook which passes for “Help” regarding .stb

I am a Mechanical Engineer who wants to design and detail – I don’t want to be an expert in the intricacies of the Autocad system – it should be a Tool and as user friendly as possible

I am Extremely Frustrated – it's 2007 with the latest version of Autocad - How hard should it be to plot in black and white ?

Any more help/advice would be very welcome - thanks

If the dwg file was created for print with ctb files then when you go to print setup you can only see that type of plot styles.

If you have created a STB plot style and you want to try to plot with it open your drawing and enter the command CONVERTPSTYLES and answer yes at the pop up message.

After this you will be able to go to print manager and see/select your STB plot style.

I know I'm not so clear when explaining procedures (english is not my language, that's pretty obvious) so don't worry and ask agai for any doubts; I will try to be more clear :oops:

ps - from the - File - Plot Style Manager - drop down - I can see the .stb files sitting there - but how do I get them to appear on the plotter window - where I can apply them ??

Riga - thanks for the last information - I have got the .stb files -

I need to play around with settings - and try to understand a bit more about what is happening - again - thanks for your help

tho' I still think that it should be a simple task to get a black and white plot of a 3D model - regards

Don't worry, if I can I'm always happy to give my contribute to this forum.

It's surely possible to print a 3D mobel B/W even with ctb plot styles. I suggested STB because I was thinking you were using true colors and with them STB is the only way I know to plot balck and withe.

If you don't mind you can attach the file here and we can give it a look to find out if there is any problem

• 1 month later...

Black and white printing in 3D. I know your pain. Try this. Go "Visaul Styles" in the dashboard and set the visual style to "3D wireframe". Use your regular ctb table when you go to plot. Check that the "Shaded Viewport Options" is showing "3d wireframe" in the dialog box. Preview, then print. See if works for you it did for me.

mary, hi and thanks for the tip - this method worked for model space - big tick - but does not work for paper space as the shaded option is disabled (in the plot window) - since posting this query I have discovered that if the model is put onto the "0" layer - it will plot black and white in paper space - a bit of a hassle - but the only "work around" I know about - I feel that there must be a simple way of doing this !!! but what is it ? - does anyone from Autocad ever read these posts - I tried to contact Autocad direct - but it all became too hard and time consuming - so I gave up and use this work around -

again - thanks and regards

• 2 weeks later...

Mary - Hi - subsequent to this message - I have discovered the answer - and for any one else out there trying to print black and white in paper space of a 3d model - click on the viewport - open up the "Properties" window and go to "Miscellaneous" - Go to "Shade Plot" and set it to "Hidden" - each window will need to be done - but this should do the trick - Eu"bloody"reka

• 6 months later...

:shock: Thank you John.

Changing "ShadePlot" to "Hidden" in the "Miscellaneous" section of "Properties" really does work. 60 viewports later it is still working. If I had only set the Property before I started coping the viewport.

Thank you again.:D

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I was able to print only once using the trick of changing the "Shade Plot" to Hidden, which I was ecstatic about. Then I made a change to my camera, tried printing again and the paper space became hidden and I can't print. I'm not sure what I did, but can anyone help?

LY

in visualstyles manager, pick the style you are using, select the face color mode, change to monochrome. make sure that style is applied to the model by double clicking on the style while in model space.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have not found an alternate method. When I start a new project I am very careful to set up the first drawing correctly and test it first, then I copy.

Setting "ShadePlot" to "Hidden" in the "Miscellaneous" section of "Properties"

Who knows what little tricks are in autocad 9, but I am not going there just yet.

Again thank you for your help.

• 8 months later...

in paperspace, highlight the viewport, right click and check the shade plot settings. should be a tick next to hidden NOT 3d hidden I have found that 3d hidden always prints the viewport in colour

• 1 year later...