Cleaning Up a DWG

chris81

I'll post my 10p/10cents worth, although I may be wrong.

It seems to me that a lot of people have forgotten the original idea why x-refs were introduced (IIRC reducing file sizing and making drawings workable) thats probably because looped x-refs are a PITA.

How big is the host file for the xref? I xref files in bigger than 2meg no problems :wink:

If it was me (and having problems of this nature) I would wblock off the file to be xrefed....then wblock off layers from that file and xref them back into the host file if needed.

Hope that makes sense (its late, and ive had a few beers) :roll:

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chris81

• Tiger

• chulse

• rustysilo

I have made all sure all the layers were 'on' before I purged and only have about 30 layers left with no hatches but the file is still over 2megs.

As for the HOTFIX application won't the consultant that I recieve the drawings from need to use this before they send me the drawings or will it work when I use it? They are the ones with 2007 saving down to 2004.

I tried WBlocking the entire drawing and placing into a new file (and exploded it because I still need to edit this drawing) and the file was bigger than the original which makes sense since I exploded it. I also copied the entire drawing into a new file and tried xrefing that and it still crashes in my 2008 version.

Anyone else got any ideas....beside throwing my computer out the window

I know this thread is waaay old, but this is exactly what I deal with on a daily basis....haven't tossed my computer out the window yet though...