AutoCAD Rel 12...

dave_in_delaware

Well, I guess this will be the perfect place to post my "dinosaur" version. LOL. I purchased it many many years ago to get me through college. I used it to design, edit, and plot my thesis drawings in architecture school.

AutoCAD Release 12 (and c2 upgrade), on 5.25" floppies! I have the whole "box set" from Autodesk: disks (w/ sleeves), manuals, tablet template, etc. I received it on Sept 22, 1992, and it's still in perfect shape. Here's a collage I made:

AcadRel12-collage.jpg

Upper left = Rel 12 disk set

Middle left = original shipping box from Autodesk

Lower left = boxes within shipping box

Upper right = "Executables 1" floppy

Main image = contents all shown

I ran this software on a 486/33 with 8 MB RAM with NO problems. I actually still have the computer, and the Hitachi Puma tablet!

... btw Dave, I still use a tablet
I don't use mine anymore, but I still have it. :o It's sitting under my drafting table right now.

I was thinking of putting my Rel 12 version up on Craigslist (or similar) and selling it. Do you think anyone would buy it, for a collection or something? Or maybe someone out there actually (gasp!) still uses Rel 12!

Does anyone know of an AutoCAD museum that might want it?

Maybe I should email Autodesk and ask them? They'd probably laugh that I kept it this long.

If you do decide to sell it you might want to do so as a "collectable" and not as software. AutoDesk legally claims their software is licensed not sold and therefore cannot be resold or transferred. The license is considered to be a limited right to use the software.

Take a look at the November 2007 issue of CADalyst Magazine. Page 12 carries an article entitled, "Licensed to Resell?". It's about a guy who is challenging AutoDesk on this point. For further details regarding the complaint go to:

www.adskvoda.com

Look at the paragraph labeled: David vs. Goliath - Tuesday, September 11, 2007

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think r12 or 13 was the last of the cross platform versions. You could get DOS, Windows, MAC or even Unix versions back then. If I remember the benchmark testings Dos was beaten out only by Unix for speed. Even through 14 they were still doing speed tests against 12 for DOS.

I think r12 or 13 was the last of the cross platform versions. You could get DOS, Windows, MAC or even Unix versions back then. If I remember the benchmark testings Dos was beaten out only by Unix for speed. Even through 14 they were still doing speed tests against 12 for DOS.

Yes, R13 was the last version available on non-Microsoft platforms.

• 4 weeks later...

I used version 9 back in 1987 talk about ancient.. alot of the commands are still the same today

Mr Strix says he used R7 and then R12 Windows whilst at Sheff Poly

AutoCAD has a lot to answer for - he was living in our student house and I helped him with his AutoCAD homework - the rest is history :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that 12 was the last cross platform version. At the time 13 came out the shop I was working at was running 12 on both DOS and Unix, but had to upgrade the machines (from Sparc stations) to new windows machines for 13 (shudder). By the time the machines and Autocad got upgraded to 13 we went immediatley to 14 upon it arrival.

Those were the days.

Hey by chance are you tim spangler from Scottsdale, Arizona ? i knew someone as a kid who was in my drafting classes in high school around 1985

I believe that 12 was the last cross platform version. At the time 13 came out the shop I was working at was running 12 on both DOS and Unix, but had to upgrade the machines (from Sparc stations) to new windows machines for 13 (shudder). By the time the machines and Autocad got upgraded to 13 we went immediatley to 14 upon it arrival.

Those were the days.

I remember running 12 on the Sun Sparc20 machines with Solaris at the engineering lab in college. Man I hate UNIX!

I believe that 12 was the last cross platform version.

Nope, R13 was available for Unix.

From a press release...

AutoCAD R13 provides interoperability among nine platforms, including MS-Windows 95, MS-Windows NT, MS-Windows 3.1O, MS-DOS, Windows NT on Alpha Systems, and four UNIX platforms, including IBM RISC System/6000 running AIX, Sun UltraSPARC and SPARCstation on Solaris, Silicon Graphics, Inc. R4000, and R5000-based IRIX systems, and Hewlett-Packard 9000 Series 700 workstations using HP-UX.

Hey by chance are you tim spangler from Scottsdale, Arizona ? i knew someone as a kid who was in my drafting classes in high school around 1985

Nope, Sorry. I'm not the one.

From a press release...

AutoCAD R13 provides interoperability among nine platforms, including MS-Windows 95, MS-Windows NT, MS-Windows 3.1O, MS-DOS, Windows NT on Alpha Systems, and four UNIX platforms, including IBM RISC System/6000 running AIX, Sun UltraSPARC and SPARCstation on Solaris, Silicon Graphics, Inc. R4000, and R5000-based IRIX systems, and Hewlett-Packard 9000 Series 700 workstations using HP-UX.

Well there you have it. I could have swore 12 was. Thanks for the insight (I guess I could ahve googled it to be sure)

• 6 months later...

I grew up on 10.0 but 12 was the best we had so many customizations on our digitizer, I shudder to think of the time we used to make such customizations and now they are all standard out of the box.

I used version 9 back in 1987 talk about ancient.. alot of the commands are still the same today

You guys are making me feel old. I started with version AutoCAD 2.1.

If you executed a polar array command it would ask if you were sure..a polar array of 50 circles would take about 15 minutes to execute on an IBM AT.

But then, I still roll my pencil when I draw a line...the old guys will know what I mean.

"But then, I still roll my pencil when I draw a line...the old guys will know what I mean."

I know exactly what you mean. And who are you calling OLD?:lol:

There's a thread around here somewhere that's an entire trip down memory lane when it comes to board drafting. It's a hoot to read. Brings back such fond memories (maybe "fond" isn't quite the right word). Anyone who has ever done drafting on the board will appreciate it. Those who haven't will just scratch their heads and wonder what we're talking about. I'm still a firm believer that prior to immediately jumping into CAD, junior-high and high school students leaning in the direction of CAD be required to take one semester of manual drafting. They'll have a much better appreciation for CAD once they do.

triangles - straightedges - pounce - sharpeners - erasing shields...

The good old days?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...