How to Draw Electrical Schematics

ziemerd

Hello All. My boss just informed me that he wants me to draw electrical schematics in the near future. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book that I can learn the symbols and proper placement. I am mainly mechanical but I understand relays and capacitors and such; I am just not sure how to draw them.

Thanks for the help.

Dawn

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ziemerd

• Mr T

• hyposmurf

• ReMark

There is a standard for the blocks we use.I can send you a typical schematic drawing and maybe even the legend for a our electrical blocks.Cant remember the standard now.Let me know if your interesting and I'll email you the drawing/legend drawing.If youve drawn mechanical schematics then you wont find electrical ones to hard,theyre much the same just different blocks.

Thank you Hyposmurf. I would really appreciate you sending me the drawing and any information you can give me. You can send it to the e-mail address I have in my profile.

Thanks again :!:

Dawn

Thank you Mr T.

Actually, what I'm looking for is information on how to look at an electrical box and know how to draw schematics for it. I've got the symbols I need I just don't know where to put them on a drawing so it accurately represents the electrical box. That's why I was asking about a book that would explain this.

Thanks for your help.

Dawn

Thank you Mr T.

Actually, what I'm looking for is information on how to look at an electrical box and know how to draw schematics for it. I've got the symbols I need I just don't know where to put them on a drawing so it accurately represents the electrical box. That's why I was asking about a book that would explain this.

Thanks for your help.

Dawn

If you are looking for the CONNECTIONS then you need to the elec background knowledge. If you are british the the BSI website will help.

Nick

Yes exactly youd need a qualified person to show you.Not exactly something you wnat top get wrong,what exactly do you need it for?Will a contractor be using this drawing on iste to wire his distribution board from?

We have a company who has asked for us to make them an electrical box that will allow them to test their equipment. I drew the mechanical drawings for the box and sent them to a CNC shop. When I get the panels back I will assemble the components and make sure everything functions properly. My boss has already drawn the schematics for this box which we will give to the engineers who asked for the box in the first place.

In the future I will be drawing the schematics.

The company that gave us the job just tells us what they want the boxes to do and we do the rest.

I hope that explains it a little better.

I have the symbols for resistors, switches, LEDs, etc. I just don't know how to draw schematics properly so that it correctly represents the electrical box. The engineers will need it if they need to troubleshoot the box for whatever reason.

I was hoping for a book or something that would explain the basics for drawing schematics.

Unfortunately I'm not in Britain. I live in the midwest portion of the U.S.

ziemerd PM your email address and I'll send you some DWF's of distribution shematics I have.Ill also send you a DWF of our electrical drawing legend,with all the symbols

The box is a testing device that allows the engineer to test their designs. Have you ever heard of John Deere? They make all sorts of tractors and farm equipment. The box allows them to test different functions to see if their design will work.

This box consists of metal panels where several switches, LEDs, banana jacks, rotary switches, potentiometers, etc are mounted. They simulate things like reverse, forward, neutral as well as wiper, brakes, cooling control solonoid, flashers, etc.

Hopefully that was clear. :? I'm not thoroughly familiar with this project yet as I was just hired a short time ago.

The box is a testing device that allows the engineer to test their designs. Have you ever heard of John Deere? They make all sorts of tractors and farm equipment. The box allows them to test different functions to see if their design will work.

This box consists of metal panels where several switches, LEDs, banana jacks, rotary switches, potentiometers, etc are mounted. They simulate things like reverse, forward, neutral as well as wiper, brakes, cooling control solonoid, flashers, etc.

If you look at the Inventor 9 website it shows a similar box. You can even model cable and wire looms accurately.

Also wiper blades, switches etc can be modelled and animated in Inventor to avoid mistakes and testing after being built.

Nick

Hey Dawn,

Did you hear about the tractor salesman that got dumped by his girlfriend?

She sent him a John Deere letter.

That's a good one Kate. I hadn't heard that one before. :lol:

Do you mean ladder diagrams? These are commonly used for HVAC and other equipment controls. I could fax you an example of one, if you're not sure if I'm talking about the same thing you're doing.

No these aren't ladder diagrams. They are schematics that show where all the electrical components are located.

I'll just have to take a field trip to Barnes and Noble and see if they have any books that explain proper layout of electrical components in a drawing.

Thanks everyone for all your help :!:

8)

I think an electrical engineer would have to advise you. For example when I teach electronics I know that a 22 ohm resistor should always be parallel to an LED and that a Solenoid needs a diode across it. :shock:

You could look up the symbols for these components but would you know how they were wired together ?

But you would not know how to draw the WIRING DIAGRAM unless you were qulified in electronics. ?????? :?:

Nick

But you would not know how to draw the WIRING DIAGRAM unless you were qulified in electronics. ??????

Mr. T you are correct. I have an electrical engineer who will look over my work and give me guidance but I would like to have a basic knowledge of how schematics are put together....if you know what I mean.

I'm sure I'll figure it out. I'll just have to do some research. :geek: