3D House Plans

hust0051

I am looking for some advice pertaining to residential custom home design. I come from the good old fashioned background of pencil and paper drafting. Although with the recent technology advances I have migrated to the AutoCAD side of the fence, and loving every minute of it. Upon purchasing a copy of AutoCAD 2004, I continued drafting the way I knew how, lines on paper. I have recently upgraded to AutoCAD 2007, and with no formal training, I am looking for some advice in drafting in 3D.

My main question has multiple parts;

What is the best way to draw walls in 3D?

What is the best way to add windows and doors? and is there a way to have the "plan view" relate with the "elevation view"?

How do you go about adding a roof?

I have played around in the isometric views attempting to solve the previous questions, although I have been doing all of it with line work. I know there has to be an easier and more efficient way of going about this....

If you should have any advice or tutorial links that might get me headed in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

your best bet is to go upgrade to a version of Autocad Architecture, which draws things natively in 3-d. Doing it with plain ole AutoCAD is going to be a HUGE pain in the rear. You will need to get a book on Autocad Architecture, or take some classes. It has alot more stuff to it than your basic version of Autocad.

Good luck

Our office is in the process of going to Autocad Architecture from doing all of our plans in 2-d. We are currently doing time tests to see if we would actually see an increase in production over the way we currently do things.

Learn the EXTRUDE command and how to change your UCS. Then brush up on UNION and SUBTRACT. Follow that up with some solids editting commands and you're good to go.

Needless to say, that even without AutoCAD Architecture it can be done.

Using AutoCAD 2004, my first attempt at drawing a 3D house was to try a circular one. Now THAT was a pain in the a**!

In response to ReMARK;

I appreciate the input, from the sounds of what you are suggesting, I will be working with the project in a similar way as if I were to use sketch up?

Have you ever attempted to work with POLYSOLID to create the walls? I have done my fair share of experimentation and I found both EXTRUDE and POLYSOLID will create the effect I am looking for, albeit in different ways. But you are correct in saying I need to become more familiar (learn) my solid editing commands.

Thank you again for your help.

In response to Noahma;

I also appreciate your input. I do have ADT release 3 (2000i), and I find that particular version to be so archaic that I am having trouble finding any training/tutorials. I wish I could gain access to a newer version of that program, although the funding isn't necessarily in line.

I have played around with it a little in the past, but what I was able teach myself as far as available functions leaves my plan lacking detail and accuracy. I have created a name for myself based on those previous factors. Maybe I am aiming my experimentation toward the wrong program.

Knowing I have access to ADT release 3 and ACAD 2007, would you suggest using ADT opposed to ACAD 2007, or considering the version of ADT, do the features of ACAD outweigh the functions of ADT?

I was under the impression that ADT is based completely on ACAD functions, although ADT has wall/window/door/etc. functions built into the system. On that same line ADT is limited and does not have the full capability of ACAD. Am I wrong in assuming that I can do in ACAD what I can do in ADT, although with ACAD I will have a couple more steps to create what I am seeking...

If ADT is indeed what you would suggest, could you point me in the correct direction where I can obtain training/tutorials, preferably not classes, but books and CD/DVD.

I have not used POLYSOLID nor do I find myself using PRESS/PULL as often as I should. Having done a fair amount of 3D work in 2004 where these commands were not available I'm still "set in my ways" so to speak.

Yes, I guess you could say that there are indeed some similarities to Sketchup (a program I have only dabbled with). Keep in mind that Sketchup is touted more as a presentation tool. I think, when it comes to construction drawings, you'll be best served by either AutoDesk's plain old vanilla AutoCAD or it's more particularly focused architectural software.

Please consider posting progress drawings of one of your designs. We'd all like to see them.

In response to Noahma;

I also appreciate your input. I do have ADT release 3 (2000i), and I find that particular version to be so archaic that I am having trouble finding any training/tutorials. I wish I could gain access to a newer version of that program, although the funding isn't necessarily in line.

I have played around with it a little in the past, but what I was able teach myself as far as available functions leaves my plan lacking detail and accuracy. I have created a name for myself based on those previous factors. Maybe I am aiming my experimentation toward the wrong program.

Knowing I have access to ADT release 3 and ACAD 2007, would you suggest using ADT opposed to ACAD 2007, or considering the version of ADT, do the features of ACAD outweigh the functions of ADT?

I was under the impression that ADT is based completely on ACAD functions, although ADT has wall/window/door/etc. functions built into the system. On that same line ADT is limited and does not have the full capability of ACAD. Am I wrong in assuming that I can do in ACAD what I can do in ADT, although with ACAD I will have a couple more steps to create what I am seeking...

If ADT is indeed what you would suggest, could you point me in the correct direction where I can obtain training/tutorials, preferably not classes, but books and CD/DVD.

We are still learning Autocad Architecture within the office. Ill try to awnser as best as I can. We were looking for a solution that only requires us to use one program, right now we are using a combination of Autocad and a program called Arch T. Going through the stuff that ACA has to offer, we will be going with linework for some of the stuff, and using the ACA items for others. such as stairs, roofs, and case work will be done still in the 2d linework. The tools for roofs and stairs are paticularly cumbersome. Accuracy does not seem to be a problem with the plans at all. The newer release of ACA seems to be better from what I have heard than any previous release of the program. I do know that it will take far longer to do the 3d home using basic 3d functions of autocad as apposed to using the ADT items. I do not know where you would find documentation for earlyer versions of ACA. I can tell you however that the releases since Release 3 are much more advanced.

• 1 month later...

I would go with ADT. In ADT you draw/design like you would in ACAD. That is you do it all in a plan view (2d) state. The difference is that instead of using the Line or Pline command you use a wall command. You than just draw like you would draw any floor plan. ADT uses what it calls Intelligent objects, so you set all the parameters of the wall in it properties box (height thickness and so forth) so what you end up with is what looks like a 2d plan view but when seen in a isometric view it is a 3d model. Windows and doors are done the same way, you pick the corresponding one form the tool pallete and insert it into your plan view where you need it. ( you can that adjust the base height and all that fun stuff in the poroperties so that when you view it in an iso view it shows the window already part of the wall.

I tried my best to explain in words but once you play with it you will understand. ADT is exaclty what you need in order to do qucik accurate floor plans and 3d models of buildings.

I am looking for some advice pertaining to residential custom home design. I come from the good old fashioned background of pencil and paper drafting. Although with the recent technology advances I have migrated to the AutoCAD side of the fence, and loving every minute of it. Upon purchasing a copy of AutoCAD 2004, I continued drafting the way I knew how, lines on paper. I have recently upgraded to AutoCAD 2007, and with no formal training, I am looking for some advice in drafting in 3D.

What is the best way to add windows and doors? and is there a way to have the "plan view" relate with the "elevation view"?

I have played around in the isometric views attempting to solve the previous questions, although I have been doing all of it with line work. I know there has to be an easier and more efficient way of going about this....

If you should have any advice or tutorial links that might get me headed in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

well, I have 17 years of experience drawing with autocad in 3D et al and I can say that learning to use it by following tutorials on extruding, subtracting, lofting and using surfaces etc. along with your 2D knowledge of xrefs, blocks etc. is your best way to go about architectural rendering. Those paramentric modelers are not going to teach you anything other than entering parameters.....and since every 3D program albeit 3DS Max/Viz, Sketchup, Rhino etc uses the same basic modelling tools....learning to model in 3D is very, very important if you are planning on making a career out it.....and it can be very lucrative since it is a nitch market w/out a lot of knowledgable people (meaning understanding design as much as the CAD skills to couple with it)....you the have the most important knowledge already; the design aspect.....having these online forums is something that wasn't available when i started in 1991.....you should be up and running in no time with these webs of help.....

• 4 years later...

Hello, autocad 2007 or 2008 is a very good version. You need to master this commands when using autocad 3d (ucs, extrude, polyline, fillet, 3dpoly, union, subtract,boundary creation(bo), pedit, view).

3d walls:

-first draw a closed polyline wall in 2d or if you have an existing 2d floor plan, make sure that your wall is a closed polyline after that change your view to 3d. Type extrude, press enter, select the polyline wall, specify the height of the wall in the command prompt and press enter.

windows & doors:

-almost the same process as walls. you need to use "subtract" command for the window openings.

view:

-you need to have the 2d "plan, front, side, rear elevations" before starting 3d.

roof:

-commands(polyline, mirror, extrude, ucs, subtract, union)

Good luck :)

Welcome to the forum. It appears that you are answering a thread which is more than 5 years old. Presumably in the course of 5 years the OP will have come to grips with 3D modeling. Good of you to share your experience, but it helps to check the dates, hell, maybe I'm wrong, but I certainly hope not. :)