Lame OSNAP problem

petersilk

Hi

I am a reasonably experienced autocad user but have rescently changed jobs/computers and seem to be unable to make OSNAP on the new computer work properly. It is so un-sensitive its un-useable.

The radius at which i snap to an object is so tiny i rarely ever snap to what i want, be it end, mid point or anything! i end up hovering my mouse over the area and zooming in rediculous amounts just to get an intersection snap box to apper. It has nothing to do with the size of the snap box or which osnap options i have turned on (as i have them all turned on all the time)

I have spent hours and hours going through endless settings even altering things i have no idea what they are.. i am desperate now.

can anyone please help as it has already made my first week at the new job terrible..

Thanks, Psilk

(lt2007)

yes, i have spent half of last week in tools-options desperately altering things but can't find anything that alters the sensitivity of the osnap.

i have set up many PCs with various Autocad releases and even taught autocad for a year and have never come across this before. there is one other person on another forum with the same prob as me but noone has answered his post.

i think it has something to do with the settings the previous user of the computer had before me but they are not here to ask..

thanks

Pete

Guest Alan Cullen

Well, then. To do something I absolutely hate doing.

Uninstall acad, and reinstall it. That way any tricky little settings that may have been created will be wiped. Explain to AutoDesk what you did, and they will give you back the authorisation codes.

That is all I can suggest. Probably a faster option than trying to figure it all out. Sorry. :(

P.S. before you uninstall. you may wish to consider useing the portable license transfer.

thanks guys, it was in fact the apature size..

i was a few moments away from asking my new boss if i could re-install.. lol

for some reason i am unable to 'visualy' alter the size but it is at the size i am used to so thats good.

back on the path to impressing the boss now, thanks :)

only joined the forum to get help and am so impressed with you guys i'll make sure to see if i can help others myself

thanks again

Pete

...for some reason i am unable to 'visualy' alter the size...

You should have visual alteration ability if you follow my previous thread regarding the drafting tab in options... it's a slide adjustment.

Hey Guys... just for the Record.

The Two commands are different.... In the options the APERTURE SIZE command is purely for the size of the aperture.

If you type in APERTURE in the command line this changes the OBJECT SNAP TARGET HEIGHT which i think was our friends problem, increasing this value should have done the trick. He would have seen no Visible change to the aperture.

:D

Guest Alan Cullen

Hey, petersilk,

If you have got the answer to your problem, then go with that. Disregard all the extra chatter here....it's just our members trying to boost their post count. :twisted:

Cheers, mate. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Hey Guys... just for the Record.

The Two commands are different.... In the options the APERTURE SIZE command is purely for the size of the aperture.

If you type in APERTURE in the command line this changes the OBJECT SNAP TARGET HEIGHT which i think was our friends problem, increasing this value should have done the trick. He would have seen no Visible change to the aperture.

:D

Strange I tried command APERTURE and saw it set to 10, I then went through the options menu, changed my aperture size, then went back and typed APERTURE again and it was 16, which I think means they are the same, unless I'm missing something...?

(Just boosting my post count Alan)... :lol:

lol, glad i can finally draw with ease.. its good sparking the general chatter too, looks like ppl are learning form it too:P

happy christmas!

• 1 year later...

I think this is normal? I can't watch the YouTube video from work, but the snap should pick up the nearest available on an object. If you turn off the endpoint snap and turn on the midpoint snap you will snap to the midpoint from the endpoint.

• 3 years later...

JBullseye74... a very fitting name indeed. I can't thank you enough for that last comment... I am also a fairly experienced CAD user and the onsap on my new machine was just not working like it used to, which I was finding to be a real drag, and the Options changes didn't do the trick. typing in 'aperture' and increasing the value sure did though... thank you SO much!

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the tip Guys!

I also started a new job (using Acad LT 2011) and the snap (aperture set 10) was driving me crazy. I changed it to 3 and now it's good again. Not sure why this isn't in the drafting tab diaglogue box as it's pretty important.

Cheers