Extract Coordinates along polyline.

therock005

Imagine i have a polyline(2d or 3d doesnt really matter),and i want to extract the coord info of every vertex on the polyline from start to end.

How do i do that in AutoCAD?And if not is there a way to do it on any of the verticals?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rustysilo

• therock005

• SLW210

• chiefrenzo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure in plain ole AutoCAD, but if using Land Desktop or Civil 3D I know you can place points on the vertices of said polyline (see graphic), then export the points, and voila you have a point file with all of the coordinates.

pntsoncontour.PNG

Does this option add points on every vertice of a polyline?

So if you draw a window and select all polylines,then all points will be defined?If so then that's what i need!

With this option you need to select polylines one by one and then click on each vertice for description.Cant it be more straightforward?

SLW210

I need to gather the information,not just view it.

I didn't even think of that SLW210. That would be even more simple.

-------

rock, I don't think you can to them all at once. When I try it I can do one pline at a time and it prompts you for a description for the points which you can fill in or just enter through them all.

Actually, it's probably it the point settings. Surely you can set it to input them automatically... Give me a sec to check it.

With this option you need to select polylines one by one and then click on each vertice for description.Cant it be more straightforward?

SLW210

I need to gather the information,not just view it.

Do you need to write them to an Excel file or do you need to label them?

Found it. Expand the create points box (blue chevron on right side - circled in red) and under "prompt for descriptions" set it to None. Then initiate your command to create points on poly.

If you use SLW210's method you can just copy and paste the coords from the command window.

pntsonpoly-auto.PNG

I want the result to be something that associates with each point representing the vertex.

That could mean a file with xyz of every point,or points directly appearing on screen much like the method we're discussing now.

In general i need to have coordinates for every point representing a vertex along polylines.

If i try the polyline/contour vertice option it says invalid selection set.I guess cause plines are not of surface items.

If i rather try the miscellanous polyline automatic,then it does display the points but it asks for description,and if i have the override to non,then no points appeard along the polyline!

EDIT:nah it does work,but for some reason i had to close and re open the drawing for this to work.

Do you need z values? You asked for coordinates on the line. For z values it should work if you have a surface to get the values from. I think you can get z values from the vertices of the pline itself as well.

And keep in mind the polyline must be a 3d polyline with elevational values at the vertices for that to work to your benefit.

Yes i know that,that was the option i used but as you know you got to do it one by one.The lisp routine above,does whats necesary by defining a window,but for some reason i didnt get a z value.

The 3d polylines were contours and breaklines,which of course have vertices with elevation.

If i list the plines,it lists them as lw-polylines?What exactly is that,and is it responsible for something going wrong?

Guest Alan Cullen
I believe the lw in lwpolyline stands for "line width". I don't think that would affect what you're trying to do.

I thought LWPolyline was Light Weight Polyline. But I can't find anything on it in Help (no real surprise there, I guess).

No surprise whatsoever. The help file is helpful sometimes, but not always.

rock, I think your best option is probably using the create points > polyline vertices - automatic with the prompt for description turned off is your best bet. Yeah you'll have to do them one polyline at a time, but at least you'll have points. From there you can export the points and you'll have your coordinates as well as z values.

I'm thinking you may be able to run a report query via Map on those lines, but I can't figure out how to get it to report the x,y,z of each vertice. Maybe someone at theswamp could help you better.