Realistic Grass Anyone????

watso75

Hi guys

I am a landscape architect and am using 3ds max 9, Can anyone help me out with the most efficent way to produce realistic grass for my scene. I have used a few tutorials in the past which produces high number of polygons in my scene and can not produce a good enough effect of really short cut grass over a large area, the file size gets large and there are too many elemnts. Can anyone help out there?

PS I often use the standard short grass in materiel library but think there must be a better way

thanks in advance8)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watso75

• Cad64

• wbroberts

• craigp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My way is to attach this grass texture to your object / plane and in the texture menu, add the same image for a bump map. To create the bump map, use photoshop to make a copy of the texture, change it to black and white then up the contrast and save as the samr format and size etc... Now use this as your bump.

If you use vray, please let me know and I will send you a great link for VRAY textures which will give you all the necessary texture maps for a brill grass texture.

grass-5.jpg

I use the same method as Craigp, but I also throw the bump map into the Displacement slot to add a little more volume to the grass. I haven't played with the realistic grass feature yet, but I figured it would be pretty processor intensive, so I would probably only use it for small areas up close to the camera. Definitely not for a whole field.

My way is to attach this grass texture to your object / plane and in the texture menu, add the same image for a bump map. To create the bump map, use photoshop to make a copy of the texture, change it to black and white then up the contrast and save as the samr format and size etc... Now use this as your bump.

If you use vray, please let me know and I will send you a great link for VRAY textures which will give you all the necessary texture maps for a brill grass texture.

How do i know what colour to be black and what colour to be white? Probab an easy answer but hey when u dont know you dont know?

It'll be obvious when you desaturate your grass image. You'll get black, white and shades of grey automatically. The black parts will be the parts that will be recessed in the bump map, the white parts will be the parts that bump up in the map and the grey bits will fall somewhere in between. You will want the map to be mostly black and white though, so that's where the contrast comes into play. You can adjust this with "Levels" or "Curves" in Photoshop.

No problem like CAD mensioned, the best way for clser detailed area's is the displacement method, this gives brilliant results however you do need a good setup to render this at speed.

displacement grass is not what you want....the effects are not distinguishable from bump map for typical arch viz applications and they take ten times as long to render......I've spent a lot of time screwing around with grass and I believe, as already mentioned, taking two separate grass maps and mixing them in a smoke or noise slot then using a procedural bump such as cellular or dent works best and looks like a picture perfect lawn....

displacement grass is good for overgrown or small patch areas that you want to be part of your "flair".....

displacement grass is not what you want....the effects are not distinguishable from bump map for typical arch viz applications and they take ten times as long to render......I've spent a lot of time screwing around with grass and I believe, as already mentioned, taking two separate grass maps and mixing them in a smoke or noise slot then using a procedural bump such as cellular or dent works best and looks like a picture perfect lawn....

displacement grass is good for overgrown or small patch areas that you want to be part of your "flair".....

cheers, any chance of some pointers to a tutorial, i kind of get what you mean but think i need to follow a tutorial. I'm a Landscape architect and this is possibly the hardest part of my visuals, any help much appreciated

I'm not sure about tutorials online for this.....I've searched for years and have only found bits and pieces....there is a lot on displacement grass tutorials......but for some reason it is a "trade secret" or something.....

these are the settings I used to do this rendering i'm working on right now....it is a MR Arch & Design shader; with smoke in the diffuse slot using two separate grass maps, that gets rid of the tiling and gives you that natural mix of shades and texture....darken your image maps Output RGB level to something .5 or .4 (

...of course there are probably a million different combinations to achieve this look.....ie noise maps, mix map et al

These attached grass maps have worked very well for me (and others) in the past by making them about 8' wide and mixing them in the slots.....experimenting with different texture images is the best way to go about you scenes....

GRASS2.jpg[/ATTACH]

grass setup slot crop.jpg

heathsgrass dark.jpg

normal map grass.jpg

if you have the processing power and time to wait you could alway use the hair & fur plugin...there's even a setting for grass...never was sucessfull with a full feild of this stuff but in small patches and/or foreground work is seems to be ok...

you could also model a few strands w/ line shapes and use the scatter in the compound object create panel...

but in the end, yeah, grass is hard to do especially if you're going witht the strand/wispy look...

• 2 weeks later...
Just found this tutorial posted on another site: http://jeffpatton.net/MR_Grass_Displacement.htm

yeah, that is a very good tutorial on the process.....it helped me with the concept of MR micro displacement years back.....as it is a processor-hungry procedure, render optimization is the key to grass displacement.....as anyone will warn you though, avoid large "fields" and use it in the foreground with either falloffs or masks to regular bitmapped grass in the receding distance....I use it for my sites in the parking islands and front lawns et al.....I finally got this 800x600 test to 01:30 via optimizing the model and renderer this past year....

displacement map grass test.jpg

yeah, that is a very good tutorial on the process.....it helped me with the concept of MR micro displacement years back.....as it is a processor-hungry procedure, render optimization is the key to grass displacement.....as anyone will warn you though, avoid large "fields" and use it in the foreground with either falloffs or masks to regular bitmapped grass in the receding distance....I use it for my sites in the parking islands and front lawns et al.....I finally got this 800x600 test to 01:30 via optimizing the model and renderer this past year....

......but this is the future for grass....parallax normal relief mapping....it renders so fast....40 seconds for this test...but it doesn't support mental ray...just vray and scanline (this test)....this would work for a field.....

normal relief map test3.jpg

...but it doesn't support mental ray...just vray and scanline

:o That's some nice looking grass, and so fast too! But I don't have Vray and I prefer Mental Ray over scanline, so I guess I'll just have to keep doing it the way I've been doing it. :(

:o That's some nice looking grass, and so fast too! But I don't have Vray and I prefer Mental Ray over scanline, so I guess I'll just have to keep doing it the way I've been doing it. :(

....yeah, i prefer MR to scanline too, but writing plugins that run with that render engine are very difficult....i never learned scanline well enough to get the results that some got from it back in the day either....but I believe that this new steep parallax technology is the solution to a lot of the current texturing problems people experience with arch viz today since it avoids the memory hungry micro subdivisions required with decent displacement et al..that plane in the test has two faces!.....anyone know mental ray code well enough????

The sole reason I registered here is so I could force you, wbroberts, to tell me how you made that field of grass. :lol:

I'm mainly using MR, but I guess I could render just my grass in scanline if it's as fast as you say.

You feel like sharing your secret or the plugin you used? :)

Edit: Ohh, think I found it.

Is it Fabio Policarpo's Relief Mapping plugin v.1.8 you're using? I tested it in scanline now and it even works in max 2008. Good times. :)

Edit2: I've been testing it some now and while I get good results with the usual brick and tile texture, grass is not giving me good results. It's not getting any height at all. Would you be so kind as to show me the map you used for getting those results? Mainly the normal/depth map.

Thanks.