CAD Standards updates annually as a minimum

NBC

Alas, sorry; the company owns the intellectual rights to it, and so I cannot distribute it to anyone outside the company without express written permission from the CEO

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NBC

• Dipali

• Caddy79

• Noahma

Top Posters In This Topic

setting up Autocad Architecture in a way that everyone can use it in our office is getting tedious. Almost finished with a couple of books, almost finished with a standard template using our existing standards to set up drawings. Man - o - man this is a pain. But I feel it will be well worth it in the long run.

Right now our standards are a little of a mess. We dont enforce them too tightly because we are a small firm and everyone has their own way of doing things, we do have some strickt stuff like layers and ways to draw certain things but other than that, things varry.

Cant wait to get into a strict standard so I dont have to keep learning how everyone is doing things lol.

• 1 year later...
this is because it will make it a darn sight easier to identify what layers our users are creating/using when they are drawing on top of any drawings that we receive from external sources

Why not just introduce external drawings into your companies model as an xref?

Why not just introduce external drawings into your companies model as an xref?

Because, for one reason or another (not my choice, I might add) we have many Engineers who are 'producing' drawings who do not have the first idea about how to utilise xref's

Oh. Ok thanks for clearing that up, I thought that there might have been a valid/legitimate reason for doing it that way. :)

It is a valid reason.

I've just started a new job; and have been far too busy with lots of other things; to tackle this can of worms yet.

It is on my 'to-do-soon' list, however.

Sorry NBC!, I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't a valid reason for you to do what you did, but that there wasn't a valid reason for other people in your company to be doing that (apart from not knowing better. I thought that there may have been an operational reason for it and I was curious). I completely understand about being in a new job and having to deal with what has been left over previously. I have just started at a local government body and have been charged with developing CAD Standards/Drafting manual, Transmittals, Standard sheets, etc., the whole box and dice, which is why I have been reviewing past and present threads for information, direction and help.

• 1 month later...
I have now been with my company for a year and a half. Since I've started, I've basically flushed out 80-90% of the "standards" this company was built on, from Layer Names, XREF'ing, Titleblocks, Dim Styles, Tool Palettes, and many more. It has become way more effecient and much easier to control drawings, that's for sure - and my boss (which is also our Mechanical Engineer) absolutely loves what I did for this company. And all I did was follow what I asked on these forums, whether it be from a post or a link.

But yes, it's been a long and dreadful task, but everything is worth it in the end. Now only if I could get everyone else to follow the standards 100%, that would be nice.... haha :lol:

I'm in the same boat as you only 3 years on :lol:

By Looking At The Dates, It Seems This Thread Also Requires Update Anually As A Minimum As The Title Suggests:d:d:d

• 2 weeks later...

CAD managers and users share their thoughts on MicroStation Standards Checker and DGNLIBs.CAD Standards is a comprehensive set of CAD standardization tools that will truly make the organization and deployment of standards within your office a breeze. Organizations have found that our user interface is so easy to navigate that training new hires to comply with the firm’s CAD guidelines is as simple as showing them a menu, toolbars, and optional “production palettes.”Improve accuracy and quality with.Well-documented CAD standards improve consistency, helping organizations produce better looking plans that are easier to read, and digital files that are easier to share. Automating those standards improves project collaboration, ensures consistency, speeds drawing production, and improves the accuracy and quality of the plan set. CAD Masters (CMI) Standards Manager software, now in its 7th release, automates the implementation of CAD standards putting your standards at your CAD staff's fingertips.

robin hood

broadband internet access

So when we're talking about CAD standards here, to what point do most companies standardize? I've just started at a small company, and am a fairly new ACAD user. I had to teach the guy that does all the electrical drawings for the company what model space was and how to use it last week; he had been doing everything in paper space for years, so it seems like it might be worth my while to set up some standards.

I've got a title block in various sizes, and I like the idea of standardizing layer & file names. What else?

So when we're talking about CAD standards here, to what point do most companies standardize? I've just started at a small company, and am a fairly new ACAD user. I had to teach the guy that does all the electrical drawings for the company what model space was and how to use it last week; he had been doing everything in paper space for years, so it seems like it might be worth my while to set up some standards.

I've got a title block in various sizes, and I like the idea of standardizing layer & file names. What else?

Check out this thread from another forum. This list is very in-depth, but it may give you some ideas to begin your task.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=65940

That's a good start, my suggestion is start small and grow as your company grows, bit by bit as you realise you need a standard, make a standard(s). If you try to do too much too soon it just gets confusing, and with software changes and upgrades the standards you have are probably going to change anyway.