+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Perhaps this could be a solution:
    I've drawn 2 3D-Polylines in the top-view (so they should have correct lengthes). Than I moved the upper onre to the correct heigth (taken from the side-view). As all partial faces of the screen seem to be even you can rotate them down to the plane z=0.
    Regards
    Jochen
    Attached Files

Using
    Inventor 2012

Thanks for the help, SCJ. I've not yet mastered the art of 3D autocad, and so have not attempted the drawing in 3D myself, and can't say if I agree with your solution.

I've found the solution myself though, and have illustrated it in the attached drawing. I found an article in an old drawing book, which covered how to obtain the true shape of inclined triangles given an elevation and plan.

Yay for me!!
    Attached Files
    Paul

Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Anyway your last solution looks the most correct beyond the rest 2D solutions. But there's something about it. You have started with point C, but if you were starting with point D you'd get a little different result. BTW - you can obtain it not such difficult way (look at the attached file).

PS. After all of this I think that learning 3D modeling not such a bad idea .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alex_AW; 31st Jan 2008 at 07:31 pm.

Using
    Inventor 2012

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I see what you mean. I really can't see where the 3mm discrepancy comes from. Everything else looks ok, and as I said, the solution was taken from a book. I thought the problem might lie with my original elevation and plan, but that looks ok too.

Your quick solution looks to work well in this instance. It is possible to do in this case as we know the lengths of sides (ie AC and BD are in the vertical plane).

There is another solution to our problem in the book I used, that is applicable for triangles that do NOT sit on the horizontal plane. I'll try that later to see if I can remove the discrepancy. For now tho, a 3mm tolerance in this case is perfectly acceptable, so I suppose I'd better get my drawing finished.

I'll post the other solution when I get the chance, (and would love to know if anyone can trace the discrepancy between triangles ABC and ABD) but for now, thanks for your help!!
    Paul