+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Using
    Map 3D 2006

Default going bald - please help!

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I'm trying to place my site layout at its exact coord's. Scaling the plan down by 0.001 seems to be doing the trick, but the way we print out our drawings means that I cant get it to print out as well as before.
    We set up our drawings as what we thought was 1:1, our paper size is set as the exactly the same size as a piece of paper allowing me to set my viewport 1/'scale' XP and it will print at the desired scale.
    When its scaled down I cant print it the same way. its either zoom at 1/1 or 0.5 - what the difference with zoom XP and zoom 1/1 ?

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

I know its almost the same as my other post, but as you can guess - im still at a loss..........

-----------------------------------------------------------------

28 days... 6 hours... 42 minutes... 12 seconds. That... is when the world... will end.

Using
    Map 3D 2009

Maggsie, I'm assuming you are using base drawing measurments as mm, and want to get it all down to metres.

First, reduce the scale by 0.001, then move everything back onto grid. But make sure you have known coord points first. Just move everything from a known coord point back to its original coord point value.

I'm also assuming the azimuth is the same. Otherwise you will also have to rotate everything to survey grid. That will require a second known point.

Get back to me if I make no sense at all.

Computer Details
    Tiger's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    Computer:
    HP EliteBook 8570w
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.60GHz
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
    Monitor:
    HP
    Discipline
    Civil
    Tiger's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Education /support
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Support/Education/Retail
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

I don't think that's the answe Alan...as far as I can tell Mr M has already moved everyting to correct coordinates, but it's not looking good plotted.

Can someone explain what 'Zoom XP' is??

and I gotta say..I don't really get what's your problem Mr M? You mind explaining a bit more?
    MTJIGSTRING = BAZINGA

Using
    AutoCAD 2009

My interpretation of your question on this thread is that your paperspace is set up as 1 paper size (let's call it A1 for example).
    You can print well to the same paper size (A1) as your paperspace is set up for.
    Your problem arises when you wish to print to a paper size to anything other than what your paperspace is set up for (e.g. scaled printing) ?

Maybe you could enlighten us as to what paper size your paper space is set up for; and what paper size you are trying to print to, when your problem arises.
    Life's constantly changing - keep up or get left behind

Computer Details
    Tiger's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Computer:
    HP EliteBook 8570w
    CPU:
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
    Monitor:
    HP
    Discipline
    Civil
    Occupation
    Education /support
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Support/Education/Retail
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

I'm wondering if the lines have a Width to them that messes up the plots?
    MTJIGSTRING = BAZINGA

Using
    AutoCAD not applicable

Mrmaggs to your real question... there is a range of thing that could effect the print quality or scale.
    seems your are combining 2 drawings scaling down one to match another.
    or metres to millimetres..maybe your co-ords are metres and your drawing is millimetres... a little more explanation is required.. I think, but what do I know..

Now to your thread title....Do it gracefully is my advice, no comb over..maybe alan could help alittle on that subject..
    If at first you don't succeed, then maybe failure is more your style.

Using
    Map 3D 2006

Hello to all the usual suspects!
    We have a Layout space for each paper size A0 - A4. In my view port I set the scale as eg. 1/500xp. When I plot the drawing I set my paper size to the same as the layout say A1, and the plot scale as 1:1.
    when plotted I can measure the drawing as a 1/500 scale at A1 paper size.
    The problem occurs when we try to move a drawing to its ' coords ' - is seems to be 1000 times too big.
    when the drawing ( model space ) is scaled down, I cant plot it to any scale I choose by setting the viewport as zoom 1/***XP
    To get it to 1/500 when plotted I need to change the plot scale from 1/1 to 1/0.5 and my viewport as 1:1.
    Everything drawn is in mm, is there a way I can change the coords to match my units?
    Its not making sense to me anymore, hope I have given you more of an idea of what might be wrong.
    I'm here all day so please, if you can think of anything that might help I would be forever grateful.
    And as for the going bald thing, I was thinking of just shaving it all off.......
    I could have lied I'm such a fool, My eyes could never never never, Keep their cool

Using
    AutoCAD not applicable

Maggys, so you are moving your drawing from a reference point to the
    required 'CO-ORDS' .......are the co-ords in the same units as the the drawing......
    1:500 @ A1 must be something largish..maybe civil?, work as ex.?

as for scaling down your actual drawing in modelspace..thats not a good idea....

any screen shots..?

I'm not near my cad, but I'm near my beer not sure if its helping..
    If at first you don't succeed, then maybe failure is more your style.

Computer Details
    Tiger's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Computer:
    HP EliteBook 8570w
    CPU:
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
    Monitor:
    HP
    Discipline
    Civil
    Occupation
    Education /support
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Support/Education/Retail
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

well..i think I get how your thinking.. here's my stab at it (not the hair - I'm all for the shaved head - I like that look on blokes )

If I get this right, this is not a problem that can be solved - it's just a thing that is how it is.

You can't make the plot in the right scale, because in moving the drawing to the correct coords, you have already scaled it down a 1000 times.

or, well, you can set it to scale - but then it'll be Meters instead of Millimeters.

The coords in AutoCAD is absolute, there's no way to change that. You just gotta remember if you draw in millimeters or in meters.

To take an example from what I do.

we do all our drawings in millimeters (I do drawings for District heating pipes) and I often exchange drawings with others in the pipe business (water and waste water mostly) and with the City Gov's that provide us with the basic underlaying maps.

Now everytime I recieve a file from either of these instances - I have to remember to scale it up 1000 times when I x-ref it in. And everytime I am about to send something off to these guys I have to remember to scale my drawing down a 1000 times (easy task - scale - basepoint = 0,0,0 - scalefacto 1/1000) otherwise I know they will call me and ask what the hell have I done with my drawing.

So my pipes can have a typical starting coord of 870 505 635, 68 785 150 in millimeters. While others find my pipes at 870 505.635, 68 785.150 - which is in meters.

Anything that helps you Mr M? or have I succeded in confusing you further?
    Last edited by Tiger; 1st Feb 2008 at 02:03 pm. Reason: messed up the coords :(
    MTJIGSTRING = BAZINGA

Using
    Map 3D 2009

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Paul, you ratbag, I still have a full crop of very blonde hair.

How very Swedish of me.

Maggsie, is your Model space still set up in mm? That will well and trully throw your plot scale out if you try to think in metres.

The plot scale of all tabs should be 1:1 at full size sheets. Set the required scales up in viewport properties.

Only ever set tabs up to the main sheet size you use. If you want to reduce that from say A1 to A3, then use "scale to fit", get the responded scale, and round it off, then check through preview if you get it all.

This is an area that can get quite complicated, especially if you are new to it all.

Maggsie, get used to your world about to be turned upside down. I was about to say PM me, but there are too many other members here with the same problem, so lets just sort it out here.