Converting shp files to dwg?

Guest Christine

Guest Christine

How do I convert a shape file (.shp) from GIS into a file format that I can use in Autocad (dwg, dxf)?? I use Autocad 2002.

I am trying to convert a GIS county land use map that shows things like roadways, waterways, etc. into Autocad.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

• 2 weeks later...

there is no direct conversion of .shp to .dwg or .dxf in autocad

for that u need Autocad map it has the facilities of importing .shp files or u have have to take it to mapinfo software where u can insert the .shp file and export it as .dwg

ok

• 6 years later...

You can use ImportShapes free and opensource plugin to import shapefiles in AutoCAD

You find ImportShapes on ABCAUTOCAD website here:

http://www.abccorsicad.it/software_autocad.html#ImportShapes_SHP_ESRI_AutoCAD

Here you'll find also some other useful AutoCAD plugins (check english page at top of pages):

Importshapes (GIS) to import shp files in dwg

ImportPoints (GIS) to import ODBC database or import text files into AutoCAD. It also imports Excel and csv files in AutoCAD as points or blocks

RasterManager (GIS) to use tfw in AutoCAD (World Files, tfw but also jpw, bpw and so on): imports and place raster in the right place

MyHatch (not only GIS) to create new hatch models

All for free: ABC AutoCAD is not a software house, they do also this, but they just give away for free some plugins they made for their clients; actually their main business is teaching and tutoring AutoCAD users

Edited by mtrasi
link updated

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I don't know if this post is closed, so if not...

I run AutoCAD 2007 and need to do shp to dwg file conversions. Does anyone know of a free converter, based in the English language?

Sincerely,

Brian

Hello Steve,

I saw the url ended in cad-dxf/, so no I didn't bother. I just checked out the url, and it is not a free converter. Do you know of a free one?

-B

Hello Steve,

I saw the url ended in cad-dxf/, so no I didn't bother. I just checked out the url, and it is not a free converter. Do you know of a free one?

-B

Some are trials and some are free. CADTools is completely free.

@mtrasi 1. I have a 64bit system, and I run AutoCAD 2007. The website you have linked to does not have a download appropriate for my scenario. Am I missing something?2. How do you know that the aforementioned website's request for paypal support is not mandatory? - Is it because you are affiliated with the website?

@mtrasi 1. I have a 64bit system, and I run AutoCAD 2007. The website you have linked to does not have a download appropriate for my scenario. Am I missing something?2. How do you know that the aforementioned website's request for paypal support is not mandatory? - Is it because you are affiliated with the website?

1. You didn't say you ran AutoCAD 2007 in a 64 bit Windows: so unusual, because autodesk says it's not supported (but a friend of mine ran it too in Windows 7 home 64 bit and somehow it worked, even if there were many fatal errors..).

So I really can't understand why AutoCAD works and when you try the plugin it does not work. I used ImportShapes in AutoCAD 2004 and AutoCAD 2007 and it worked well. Now I have no more AutoCAD 2007 and Windows 64 bit to try, so I fear I can't help you if tried it and it does not work.

2. Did you bother to check the link posted? You said it's not sure it's free, but it's clearly free. It's free software, under gpl license, and when you download the page with the link to the setup download says:

"Click here to read license information (GPL).

You can download our software for free; we appreciate donations, if you want to help us spend more time and work on this project, creating new releases and so on..."

Hope this can help:D, but please try the links, or it useless you post help requests.

If you refuse to try any software there is nothing more that can be added. I guess you will need to upgrade to MAP3D.

• 1 year later...
You can use ImportShapes free and opensource plugin to import shapefiles in AutoCAD

You find ImportShapes on ABCAUTOCAD website here:

http://www.abcautocad.it/software_autocad.html#ImportShapes_SHP_ESRI_AutoCAD

Here you'll find also some other useful AutoCAD plugins (check english page at top of pages):

ImportPoints (GIS) to import ODBC database or import text files into AutoCAD. It also imports Excel and csv files in AutoCAD as points or blocks

RasterManager (GIS) to use tfw in AutoCAD (World Files, tfw but also jpw, bpw and so on): imports and place raster in the right place

All for free: ABC AutoCAD is not a software house, they do also this, but they just give away for free some plugins they made for their clients; actually their main business is teaching and tutoring AutoCAD users

All of this moved to a new domain http://www.abccorsicad, so here is the renewed list for useful utilities and plugins for AutoCAD. They are opensource and free as they were before.

Your first link does not work. I get a "Server Not Found" error message.

I hope whoever wrote these plugins paid better attention to what they did.