Start AutoCAD with no new drawing...

No! acad2010.lsp is "owned" by AutoCAD also.

"acad.lsp" and "acaddoc.lsp" are the USER equivalents to "acad2010.lsp" and "acad2010doc.lsp" There is just no reason to edit the latter two files.

See: http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS21336

nothing else, you would have to remember to take out only what you added to the acad2010.lsp when you upgraded to a newer version. with the acad.lsp or acaddoc.lsp, you can just continue using them.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkmcswain

• AirSchatz

• alanjt

• Luvrbcs

Where is the acad.lsp file located at? I'm only finding acad2010.lsp and acad2010doc.lsp. Where can I find these files?

No! acad2010.lsp is "owned" by AutoCAD also.

"acad.lsp" and "acaddoc.lsp" are the USER equivalents to "acad2010.lsp" and "acad2010doc.lsp" There is just no reason to edit the latter two files.

• 6 months later...

I'm using AutoCad 2010 now and have done all this that is talked about above and it works. The "drawing no. 1" that is created gets shut down, so does any new drawing that you try to create, meaning, click on file, then new (ctrl+A) and the new drawing you want gets shut down immediately.

Kaptin: If you have a question it would be in your best interest to post it as a new thread instead of tacking it onto this thread. You've made an interesting observation above but failed to ask your question (if you did indeed have one).

Sorry for the delay in my reply but I really have no question. Just tried the alternatives as pointed out previously and reported what happened. I don't really care if the new Drawing no. 1 appears or not as I shut it down. Now here's an idea though. When you initially open the drawing that you want, it replaces the initial Drawing No. 1 automatically.

• 3 months later...

It doesn't close for everyone. I had some issues with this as well. I found that lpseifert's solution was exactly what I've been looking for.

It does if DBMOD=0

....and SDI = 1.

Personally, I prefer SDI = 0, because I'm usually using other drawings for reference of some kind and like to ctrl+tab between them, so to set it to 1 would be too restrictive.

I also never open AutoCAD via the shortcut. I'm straight into the projects directory and double clicking on the drawing I wish to work on, so no Drawing1.dwg.

For me, it's much ado about nothing, but that's just because it doesn't suit the way I work. Each to their own.

....and SDI = 1.

No, SDI does not have to be 1

If SDI = 1, then the current drawing has to close when you open another one since there can only be one document open.

If SDI = 0 and DBMOD = 0, then "drawing 1.dwg" will close when you open another drawing.

If "drawing 1.dwg" remains open after you open another drawing, it is only because it has been modified and DBMOD 0.

Interesting. Perhaps there are differences between versions. Currently, in my case, where both DBMOD & SDI = 0, Drawing1.dwg does not close.

• 2 years later...

I believe most peoples issue is that when they open a drawing autocad also open "drawing1.dwg".

This is because autocad is opening first before opening your file. To stop this you must set your default program for .dwg to "Autocad DWG launcher".

You can do this by right clicking and selecting Open with > Choose default program...

If you want a blank autocad program with no drawing.. I can't help.

• 1 month later...
To kill off Drawing1.dwg change the system variable STARTUP to a value of "1".

In my version ACA2013, the startup value is 2 to open without drawing1.dwg. Hope this helps.

AutoCAD 2013 STARTUP options:

0 Displays the Select Template dialog box, or uses a default drawing template file set in the Options dialog box, on the Files tab.

1 Starts without opening a drawing template file, and displays the Startup or the Create New Drawing dialog box.

2 Starts without opening a drawing template file. If available in the application a custom dialog box is displayed.

• 5 months later...