AutoCad 2008 Civil Survey

studiorat

Hi all,

My office just upgraded to Auto Cad 2008 now we need the civil survey 3d upgrade has anyone here used it, and if so can y'all perhaps answer a few questions regarding it? To aid us before we purchase this ?

1) With C/S 3D 2008 can we download the field data directly to cadd or do we need another program such as Foresight DXM or Eagle Point to accomplish this??

2) Will C/S 3D 2008 take our field data and separate it by layer and do the line work for us, so we don't have to play connect the dots? unless its absolutely needed...

Why upgrade to '08 and also buy Civil when Civil comes with the whole package?

If you're referring to Civil 3D then yes you can import your data and set it up to do linework and all that jazz. I think you can do this by importing a fieldbook (.fbk) file just as you could in Land Desktop. You can set it up to bring in blocks with the points and place said blocks on their proper layers via the desc keys. Go to theswamp.org and inquire more about it as there are some folks there with more experience in that dept. I'm sure.

1. You can convert raw data from your data collector to a Fieldbook file (.fbk) that can be imported into C3D with the Survey Link extension.

2. The short answer is yes... dependent on the coding of the descriptors in the field, and the setup back in the office.

you can convert raw data (.raw) to a fieldbook (.fbk) file for use in C3D using the Survey Link Extension.

does it also have the special lines and survey block libraries , i have been using survey link for years and converting to fbk I just wasnt sure if 2008 did it!!

1. You can convert raw data from your data collector to a Fieldbook file (.fbk) that can be imported into C3D with the Survey Link extension.

2. The short answer is yes... dependent on the coding of the descriptors in the field, and the setup back in the office.

you can convert raw data (.raw) to a fieldbook (.fbk) file for use in C3D using the Survey Link Extension.

does it also have the special lines and survey block libraries , i have been using survey link for years and converting to fbk I just wasnt sure if 2008 did it!!

I don't believe you'll lose any of features of LDD in C3D, same concepts, just different methods and interface.Help has some tutorials to get you started.

thanx mate

I don't believe you'll lose any of features of LDD in C3D, same concepts, just different methods and interface.Help has some tutorials to get you started.

I'm not in surveying, but I'd say lpseifert is right. I know that thus far everything I used in Land/Civil is in C3D so I would say that anything you had in one of your previous Autodesk softwares is available.

There is an extension available at the civil community as well and now Autodesk is making other extensions available.

You can go through the provided tutorials as well as the many that are freely available online. I've learned a lot this way and have only had one session with a professional trainer. I'd have more if I could afford to pay it out of my pocket. My employer is a little tighter in that department than what I'd be.

• 11 months later...

I'm trying to learn how to use Civil 3d. I was wondering if there was any way take a survey drawing from Autocad load it into Civil. And create a land survey off of it?