Recover from .sv$

SilverTiger

How do I change the file extension in an autosave file from .sv$ to .dwg AND have it successfully open up without it saying "invalid file fromat"? I'm currenty using ACAD 2005 Full version on Windows XP.

File type: AutoCAD Autosave Drawing.

Things I've already tried:

1. Renamed the file in Explorer, only to find out that it just tacked the .dwg directly onto the file name in front of the .sv$ extension (blabla.dwg.sv$)

2. Opened the file in Notepad and successfully changed the extension, but AutoCAD said it was an invalid file format when I tried to open it.

3. Went to the file's properties and changed the "Opens With" option to AutoCAD which I knew wouldn't work but tried it anyway.

Any suggestions?

To rename the files correctly in explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options and then go to the view tab. Uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types". You should now be able to change in explorer correctly to blah.dwg instead of blah.dwg.sv$

I would recommend going that route as opposed to opening in Notepad and renaming.

I like to also change the location of my automatic saves to somewhere more accessible. In options, under file tab just change the Automatic File Save Location. You might already know that, but just figured I'd add it in.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys...

just to piggy-back onto the original question, how do I make that Windows Explorer mod in Vista? I've tried plinking around in Explorer but can't find it.

I've got this same problem.

1. Renamed the file in Explorer, only to find out that it just tacked the .dwg directly onto the file name in front of the .sv$ extension (blabla.dwg.sv$)

I am using LT 2004.

Thanks!

I just found the settings I was looking for in Explorer.

I clicked on "Computer" (in Explorer)... then hit "Organize"... select the "View" tab.

it's in there. Got my files.

thanks

But now i've got another question, as I battle futility.

Are the sv$ files wiped out of the TEMP when you shut your PC down?

I can only find sv$ files from this week, I had my machine shut down over the weekend.

thanks.

doh!

AutoCAD's automatic save simply writes a copy of the current drawing to disk every so often, and when you shutdown AutoCAD normally, those file(s) are deleted.
Oh well, thanks for the nice link.

You don't normally create a backup (.bak) file with each save?

As I have deduced this morning, my problem occurred in this way.

1) I worked on a file at home and e-mailed it to work.

2) I did not properly save it back to my hard drive after opening it from my e-mail.

I see. Thank you for the follow-up information. Maybe your procedure should include the use of a thumb drive. Just a suggestion; not a criticism.

Yes, or pay more attention to detail.

I did find an interesting tidbit about Windows Vista (that does not help me) that I would submit to the forum. I can't post a link because i'm a "newbie", but look into "shadow copy" and "restore points" for Vista.

I am aware of "Shadow copy" but I do not, thankfully, run Vista.

I am a firm believer in the use of creating a Restore point but mainly do it prior to the installation of any new hardware or software. Are you suggesting to use it as a means of recovering a file?