A Few Interesting Questions… Tags, Blocks, Leaders...

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I am hoping to find some solutions to my questions. Any help will be appreciated.

All our schedule tags are custom made, and I have a frame around most of our tags – please look at DWF file for examples – only a limited amount of text can be inserted into a tag, if too much is typed, then it will extend beyond the frame of the tag; I know I can create a bigger frame, but this means that the tag will always have to be a bigger size… is there a setting, or a lisp routine, maybe VB script that can be inputted into the tags property set definition, so that the tag will adjust and make the frame bigger or smaller according to the text inserted into the tag?

I am also trying to make a leader with a loop; this leader will be used to loop around several schematic pipe lines, so if the DCW and DHW and one point, have the same pipe size, the leader can loop around these two lines, if three lines have the same pipe size, it can loop around those lines, if four lines have the same size… I know I can make a few dim styles for each situation, 2, 3 or 4 line loop, but this requires the style to be changed for each situation (creates too many dim styles, and I figured that we eliminated so many dim styles with the introduction of annotative dim styles, so why go backwards – unless I have to) I also thought of making a dynamic block with visibility, which is a nice option, but once the dynamic block is used as a dim style with a leader, it loses its dynamic block capabilities (visibility…), so is there a simple way to do this, or maybe a lisp routine, I was thinking something in the order of: a command that asks you to select the schematic lines, if you select 2 lines, it will use an annotative block that will loop around 2 lines, if three schematic lines are selected, it will use an annotative block that will loop around 3 lines and so on… is this possible? I can write some code, but not this good…

A schematic symbol is basically a block, so I can use the block editor to make it a dynamic block (with visibility and flip… capabilities), but when inserted into a drawing as a schematic symbol, not a block, it loses all dynamic block advantages (visibility…), my question is, is there any way to make a dynamic block work with all its functions as a schematic symbol? Since schematic symbols mask the line, take the layer of the schematic pipe line it is inserted on… Is there a setting, or maybe a lisp routine?

For piping, we strictly use schematic lines found under the schematic workspace. As of now, pipe sizing is entered manually using mtext; i would like to have some sort of command, like mtext, but with a little twist, when this command is used, I will be able to select the schematic line, and it will set the gap between the line and pipe size (50mm for 1:50, 100 for 1:100…), something like a label curve, but the only disadvantage to a label curve, is that you can’t draw one long line and label it with several different pipe sizes – unless this is possible? So this means, I need to draw one line for each pipe size, which is time consuming because in plumbing, you have many fixtures connecting to a main line, and this main line will have several sizes, so to draw several small lines, especially if the drafter doesn’t know the pipe sizes at that moment, so this will not work. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions, or ideas on how this can be achieved.

Thank you all in advance for your input and help :)

TagExample.dwf

is it mtext or dtext? dtext has a 'fit' option

I think you can alter the settings in dimensions to make the 'leader' have a box around it if that's what you're after

and I'm pretty certain somebody posted a similar question a couple of months back, so use the search facility and you may find other suggestions

(sorry, can't see your file on this machine)

• 2 years later...
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I am hoping to find some solutions to my questions. Any help will be appreciated.

All our schedule tags are custom made, and I have a frame around most of our tags – please look at DWF file for examples – only a limited amount of text can be inserted into a tag, if too much is typed, then it will extend beyond the frame of the tag; I know I can create a bigger frame, but this means that the tag will always have to be a bigger size… is there a setting, or a lisp routine, maybe VB script that can be inputted into the tags property set definition, so that the tag will adjust and make the frame bigger or smaller according to the text inserted into the tag?

I am also trying to make a leader with a loop; this leader will be used to loop around several schematic pipe lines, so if the DCW and DHW and one point, have the same pipe size, the leader can loop around these two lines, if three lines have the same pipe size, it can loop around those lines, if four lines have the same size… I know I can make a few dim styles for each situation, 2, 3 or 4 line loop, but this requires the style to be changed for each situation (creates too many dim styles, and I figured that we eliminated so many dim styles with the introduction of annotative dim styles, so why go backwards – unless I have to) I also thought of making a dynamic block with visibility, which is a nice option, but once the dynamic block is used as a dim style with a leader, it loses its dynamic block capabilities (visibility…), so is there a simple way to do this, or maybe a lisp routine, I was thinking something in the order of: a command that asks you to select the schematic lines, if you select 2 lines, it will use an annotative block that will loop around 2 lines, if three schematic lines are selected, it will use an annotative block that will loop around 3 lines and so on… is this possible? I can write some code, but not this good…

A schematic symbol is basically a block, so I can use the block editor to make it a dynamic block (with visibility and flip… capabilities), but when inserted into a drawing as a schematic symbol, not a block, it loses all dynamic block advantages (visibility…), my question is, is there any way to make a dynamic block work with all its functions as a schematic symbol? Since schematic symbols mask the line, take the layer of the schematic pipe line it is inserted on… Is there a setting, or maybe a lisp routine?

For piping, we strictly use schematic lines found under the schematic workspace. As of now, pipe sizing is entered manually using mtext; i would like to have some sort of command, like mtext, but with a little twist, when this command is used, I will be able to select the schematic line, and it will set the gap between the line and pipe size (50mm for 1:50, 100 for 1:100…), something like a label curve, but the only disadvantage to a label curve, is that you can’t draw one long line and label it with several different pipe sizes – unless this is possible? So this means, I need to draw one line for each pipe size, which is time consuming because in plumbing, you have many fixtures connecting to a main line, and this main line will have several sizes, so to draw several small lines, especially if the drafter doesn’t know the pipe sizes at that moment, so this will not work. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions, or ideas on how this can be achieved.

Thank you all in advance for your input and help :)

you can use a stretchable dynamic block for your tag frame so you can manually extend it as needed for each extra text case.

I use an equipment tag with a stretchable wipeout so it can be over other objects and have a cover as required for the text length.

EQUIP.dwg