Dynamic block stretch

tlawson

Thanks Chris!

Just trying to work out what is required? A simple stretch in the x direction? Or a mirror type of stretch? Or am I way off track?? :?

the problem i think is that when he stretches along the x axis the width of those 2 crossing beams (or whatever they are) gets thinner. that's why there is that magenta circle in the middle. its diameter is 50.

Will the horizontal beams then move in the Y direction like a scissor lift? I think this is a little bit beyond my basic understanding of dynamic blocks, but I'll be interested to hear a step by step solution?..

I have to admit to having trouble with this but mostly because I don't know how I would do it in autocad. The stretching part is easy but keeping the arms a set distance is beyond me at present. If I was drawing it from scratch I would construct the arms to be either trimmed or extended to size and wouldn't try to modify an existing item.

Nice response so far guys. Chris seems to have a good understanding of what I need. I can stretch the top and bottom rail of the frame with a linear stretch and can stretch one diagonal line with a polar stretch but to stretch all 4 diagonals (with my limited knowledge) I would need 4 polar stretches. I am hoping it is possible to chain some of these actions together.

Drawing this manually I use my snaps (tangent to pass the circle) (tangent intersection to connect to the top or bottom rail)

Not ideal but this does work using 3 grips and some tidying up with the trim command.

1. Stretch the frame with the top linear grip (range is set at 400-2000mm)

2. Next click a grip located at one end of a diagonal, drag the grip and snap it to the RED line.

3. Repeat for the other diagonal

I hope this will give someone a few ideas. Can anyone improve on this????

Stretch Frame V2.dwg

Thanks for having a look but just using a linear stretch does not work.

The diagonal bracing is set 50mm apart. This needs to remain constant. The further you stretch the frame in the X axis the closer the diagonals become to each other.

• 7 months later...

Just a suggestion, have you tried making a block out of a frame?

Then using block editor to apply a stretch frame across the side you want to stretch across? This turns it into a dynamic block, which you may not be looking for but it works keeping everything parallel.

on the attachment ive done this.

Stretch%20Frame[1].dwg