snapping in 3ds max

chrisdarmanin

i cant seem to be able to do it... i have the snap tool bar, i select all but nothing happens... what am i doing wrong??

Do you have the Move tool selected?

Don't select all, it gets to confusing. I usually just have vertex and midpoint selected.

Hover your cursor over the vertex or midpoint on the object you want to snap to the other one. You should see a little blue cross appear over the vertex or a little blue box over the midpoint. Once you see that, click and hold your left mouse button. Now move your cursor over to the vertex or midpoint of the object you want to snap to and hover your cursor there. The object will follow with your cursor. Once you see the little cross or box on the other object, the first object should snap together with the second object. Now release your mouse button.

To further answer your question, no, you don't have to have the Move tool selected in order to use Snaps. You can use them while creating primitives or when using the Slice tool or using the "Measure Distance" option, etc., etc. There are many ways to utilize Snaps.

i see thanks, well i tried to rotate and scale but snaps didnt work... moving is just enough i think.

and being used to acad snaps, max seems quite lacking

It's just different, that's all. It just takes a little getting used to. As far as scaling and rotating, those operations automatically occur based on the location of your pivot point. If you need to scale or rotate around a vertex or edge, just move your pivot point and snap it into position.

You'll find, as you work more with the program, that for the majority of your work, you don't need snaps on. I only use them for specific operations and then turn them back off. Unlike Autocad, where I have them on for the majority of the time and just turn them off for specific operations.

• 9 months later...
Do you have the Move tool selected?

Don't select all, it gets to confusing. I usually just have vertex and midpoint selected.

Hover your cursor over the vertex or midpoint on the object you want to snap to the other one. You should see a little blue cross appear over the vertex or a little blue box over the midpoint. Once you see that, click and hold your left mouse button. Now move your cursor over to the vertex or midpoint of the object you want to snap to and hover your cursor there. The object will follow with your cursor. Once you see the little cross or box on the other object, the first object should snap together with the second object. Now release your mouse button.

I have the same problem here. I have tried what you said but it wont work. i was trying to snap a box to the corner of another box. in order to to view the vertex, i have it converted to editable poly. the small blue boxes on the corners appeared but when i hover the the cursor over the vertex and click and hold it, it snapped on the grid lines and not on the vertex? here's an attachement...

untitled.jpg

i have been very interested in learning max but the complicated commands are very shoulder shrugging:( hope somebody could share me a comprehensive user guide for free...:D

Just like with Autocad, you need to define your snap settings. Left click on the "Snaps Toggle" button to activate snap and then right click on the button to open the "Snap Settings" dialog.

Max-Snap Settings.jpg

i have been very interested in learning max but the complicated commands are very shoulder shrugging:( hope somebody could share me a comprehensive user guide for free...:D

I don't know of any free user guide, but have you checked out the "Free Max Tutorials" thread I posted Here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29434