Any Linux users in the house?

ReMark

Just loaded Ubuntu version 7.04 a.k.a. "Feisty Fawn" on a dedicated hard drive to give it a whirl. Haven't gotten into how to run a Windows based program under Linux although I've read it can be done using a program called Wine.

Anyone else experimenting? Perhaps running a server under Linux? Your thoughts and opinions greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance for sharing.

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I run Acad 2004 in Wine on Linux Mint 17.3. It works very well with an occasional hiccup. Sometimes print scales act a bit funny. I also have run it in a virtual machine, but that also has issues. I also have an older desktop machine as a backup that runs Linux Mint and Windows XP in a dual boot arrangement. That works very well, but I keep the XP isolated from the web for security.

• 1 year later...
You can try Virtual PC as well, and install Linux there

Well, I don't have Windows, I do have Linux. All my machines run some variation of Linux. As I mentioned, I do have isolated XP and Vista instances running within virtual machines if I absolutely must use them for programs, however I rarely use them.

Wine does work quite well. The website WineHQ does a good breakdown of what Windows programs have issues in Wine, and how possibly to get around them. I currently run several Windows programs in Wine with little problem. Autocad 2004 runs 99% in Wine, an occasional hiccup, nothing I worry about. Another Linux program called PlayOnLinux also helps, it is a front end for Wine that simplifies the installation and running of some Windows programs. It was originally made for running Windows games in Linux.

Just loaded Ubuntu version 7.04 a.k.a. "Feisty Fawn" on a dedicated hard drive to give it a whirl. Haven't gotten into how to run a Windows based program under Linux although I've read it can be done using a program called Wine.

Anyone else experimenting? Perhaps running a server under Linux? Your thoughts and opinions greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance for sharing.

So naturally your post title has this going through my head now -

Sweet dreams are made of this

Who am I to disagree?

I travel the world

And the seven seas,

Everybody's looking for something.

One of Any Linux's best songs.;)

And no, sorry. I don't have anything to contribute at this time.

I run dual boot Ubuntu Studio and Windows 10. There is almost always a counter program for most things that run on only Windows and quite a few unique programs that only work on Linux based OS's. Wine can be hit or miss. Draftsight works very well on Linux. I enjoy typing on the terminal for some things, takes me back to my DOS and UNIX days.