Rotate a view in a viewport

jvwarnick

I have completed an elevation view and made a viewport to view it in paperspace. I want to make another viewport and rotate the view so that the area where the elevation view was drawn is aligned with the elevation view. Very similar to a plan and profile drawing I suppose. Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• jvwarnick

• miscille

• tree-geek

Guest LElkins

If I fully understand you, then the following steps should help.

Activate (double click into) the viewport which you wish to rotate.

Type UCS {enter}

Type OB (for object) {enter}

Select a line which you wish to be horizontal on screen. Note that the end of the line you select will be closest to the UCS origin.

Your crosshair in the viewport will now be aligned with the object you selected.

Now type PLAN {enter}

C (for Current UCS) {enter}

Your viewport view should now be rotated. Post back if you have a problem.

Cheers

• 11 months later...
  • 4 years later...
If I fully understand you, then the following steps should help.

Activate (double click into) the viewport which you wish to rotate.

Type UCS {enter}

Type OB (for object) {enter}

Select a line which you wish to be horizontal on screen. Note that the end of the line you select will be closest to the UCS origin.

Your crosshair in the viewport will now be aligned with the object you selected.

Now type PLAN {enter}

C (for Current UCS) {enter}

Your viewport view should now be rotated. Post back if you have a problem.

Cheers

Thanks you Buddy

I don't believe it is necessary to go through all that in later versions of AutoCAD as long as one has the system variable VPROTATEASSOC set to a value of "1". Then it is simply a matter of using the Rotate command.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't believe it is necessary to go through all that in later versions of AutoCAD as long as one has the system variable VPROTATEASSOC set to a value of "1". Then it is simply a matter of using the Rotate command.

Thank you! This has been trying me crazy since I upgraded to 2013.

• 4 weeks later...

There are a few ways to do it, I use this one (it actually works really well if you use multi view ports and x-ref's):

1. Make sure the viewport in which you want to work is unlocked.

2. Double click viewport to go into Model Space

3. Type in 'DVIEW'

4. Select the entire view you want to rotate, I make my window from bottom right to top left to make sure (old 'Fence' command

5. Type 'TW' for rotate and enter the angle you want to rotate to.

6. Enter to complete the command.

7. Return to paper space and relock your viewport.

You will notice that if you double click to go back into Model Space, your axis is rotated as well, however, if you go into full model space, your drawing is not.

I have used this many times and it never fails me...if you have a problem drawing to the angle, set your polar snaps to match the angle and away you go!

Since you are using AutoCAD 2013 have you ever tried resetting the value for the system variable I mentioned previously then using the Rotate command. Two steps instead of seven.

I just tried this, and yes, it does work, however, it rotates everything, if you have mulitple viewports and only need one rotated, how can it work? Did I miss something?

I've rotated single viewports a handful of times. Maybe I missed something. Unfortunately I cannot check at the moment as I am on my laptop and not my CAD computer. Will have to do so later.

I just tried this, and yes, it does work, however, it rotates everything, if you have mulitple viewports and only need one rotated, how can it work? Did I miss something?

Just to be clear you rotate the viewport itself and not the items in MS. I do this all the time and never have I had it rotate everything.

Can anyone help me undo the veiwport roation? I have managed to put it on but cannot take it off later on if I decied its not needed. Im using AutoCAD 2012.

Thanks

So, what is the problem? Rotate it back. It is not going to change on its own. Lock the display when you're done too.

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the input everyone, solved a command for me that has been very difficult for other users in our firm, especially our engineers and surveyors who rarely use AutoCAD. They would quiz me about rotating viewports most times.

Since you are using AutoCAD 2013 have you ever tried resetting the value for the system variable I mentioned previously then using the Rotate command. Two steps instead of seven.

2 steps is only half because then your viewport is rotated in a way that you don't want and you need to rotate it back, another step, to horizontal, another step to pick those lines and enter the new angle.

I previously was using this macro:

^C^CVPROTATEASSOC;0;ROTATE;P;;0,0;REF;90;POINTS;\\;VPROTATEASSOC;1;ROTATE;P;;0,0;REF;\\90;PSPACE;Z;E;MSPACE;ZOOM;EXTENTS;^C^C

Based on this post I have today shortened it to:

^C^CMSPACE;UCS;OBject;\PLAN;Current;UCS;World;

It is cleaner, easier, more intuitive. The VPROTATEASSOC variable is clumsy, and I needed a minimum of 4 steps. This new way is a minimum of 2 steps. Bundled into a macro it is now one click and one pick.

Thanks very much. This has been difficult ever since DVIEW was discontinued. I am very surprised that this PLAN command, which is new to me today, is not better documented. It is essential to surveyors and engineers.

Was DVIEW entirely removed? I'm not on my CAD computer at the moment to check. In the past AutoCAD has seen fit to discontinue but not entirely eliminate commands.