free Contouring program

Charles Roberts

SiteTopo is a free contouring program to use with AutoCAD.

Loads survey point files, or DXF and XML formats.

Works with plain AutoCAD (no addons needed), and makes no changes to

your CAD setup.

3D view lets you see your survey from any perspective.

No installation, standalone executable.

http://www.sitetopo.com/

Flash movie of the program: http://www.sitetopo.com/flash/demo1/demo1.html

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles Roberts

• SLW210

• Strix

• architecture68-raff

I saw his program on another forum....very capable and promising indeed.

I think he's just trying to get his name out there - it's a free program :)

has anyone reported this yet? Sounds very suss to me.

I gave it a look and it seems OK. It is free and he did post an answer to a question in another thread. :thumbsup:

Guest Alan Cullen

In that case, Charles Roberts, do carry on. You have just been given a great reference from AGM. That alone is enough to satisify me. :D

Has anyone tried it and wants to make a comment?

It is a small download (2.5MB) and includes some sample data, such as what you see in the video.

return visits are another plus point :wink:

Sorry - I don't have AutoCAD on this machine to try bolt ons with, but welcome to the forum anyway :thumbsup:

Looks like a nice program, definitely priced right. :wink:

I do not do contours, although sometime soon I plan on doing my own house and property and a piece of very hilly land I have purchased. I will give this thing a shot shortly and if I can use it anyone can. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing. :D

This looks like a good program to add to our Civil 3D. It seems a lot easier to edit bad spots, than it does in Civil. When Civil works, it's the best, but when it doesn't it's a real headache.

• 1 year later...

Mr. Roberts, I've got to commend you on SiteTopo. I typically work in both AutoCAD and ArcGIS (archaeological surveying) and am already finding SiteTopo to be more versatile than most CAD or GIS viewers alone. Indeed, the quick and intuitive viewing and layering controls are easier than anything else I've ever used. I'll be curious about future developments.

One quick question: Is it possible to toggle the orienting axis arrows on/off?

Thanks for a great piece of work!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...
16 hours ago, LaurenG said:

is site topo compatible with autocad LT?

If it integrates into the CAD engine, then No. AutoCAD LT does not accept any customization, that's why it's cheaper than AutoCAD.

But I went to the website, and it says:

To Make Contours:

1. Open a Survey Point File. Contours are generated automatically.

2. SaveAs a DXF file and import into your CAD program.

Which seems to indicate that this is a standalone program that creates DXF files, which AutoCAD LT can import/open.

In the FAQ section of the Site Topo website there is this:

How do you install the program?

There is no installation, the program runs as a standalone executable. Unzip the downloaded file sitetopo.zip (using a utility such as WinZip) and double-click on SiteTopo.exe to run it.

BTW...Site Topo is not free.  A registration code is available (one time purchase, does not expire) for $49 U.S.

Edited by ReMark

Look here there is an excellent lisp version by ymg TriangV0.5.9.LSP, the thing is its not just contours, its Long sections, Volumes, Cross sections and so on. The theory behind triangulation is mathematically available. It could theoretically be done in excel VBA and export to LT But for $49 if you have LT buy it.

I have talked about for a long time the "spaghetti" take the data a step further and draw all the linework, from the point coding. Its not that hard and if I can get Vl-sort to work properly the hard part is solved. One day will get around to it a LT / excel version would be good again $49.99. 

I know that most modern data collectors will dump a DXF of the survey already strung. Having been a employee of one of them.

20 hours ago, ReMark said:

BTW...Site Topo is not free.  A registration code is available (one time purchase, does not expire) for $49 U.S.

It WAS FREE when this thread started a decade ago.

• Funny 1