Convert Single line text to multi-line?

We have an employee in our office that is kind of old school in some ways. That person has a habit of exploding everything possible in a drawing. But the most annoying is the text. Most of us create notations using mtext so it's easy to edit and manipulate.

Is there a way to convert the single line text back to multiline after it's exploded?

First go smack him up side his head....

There is an express tool called text to Mtext, works nicely..

command is :

txt2mtxt

Guest Alan Cullen

I used to one of those old school blokes. All my text was single line text. But a couple of years ago I discovered the versatility of multiline text, and use it all the time now.

The aspect I love most about multiline text is the ability to spread the text block out, or narrow it down to get it to fit in tight little areas. Also with general notes, you can delete lines of text, or add more text, and there is no shuffling the text around to get it all back to normal formatting.

Long live mtext. :D

has MTEXT managed to do 'fit' yet?

there are some aspects of MTEXT I hate, and some are great - all depending on what you're trying to use it for

oh, and I'd do something about setting down some CAD standards for the office to work to more efficiently, then issue him with a written warning if he carries on causing so much wasted time (and company money)

• 2 years later...

You're just discovering txt2mtxt now? Did you even know that Express Tools existed before this?

Take a good hard look at what is available (some commands are only accessible via the command line) in Express Tools by reading the included FAQ.

• 1 year later...
You're just discovering txt2mtxt now? Did you even know that Express Tools existed before this?

Take a good hard look at what is available (some commands are only accessible via the command line) in Express Tools by reading the included FAQ.

Its coming up as an unknown command

And the reason for that Meecad is that Express Tools in not available in AutoCAD LT. Most likely due to the fact that autolisp is not supported. Sorry, but you're out of luck. You'll have to see if someone developed a macro or diesel expression to handle the conversion in LT.

• 1 year later...

i used to be able to use that TXT2MTXT at my previous job using Mechanical CAD (i believe it was), but now i am using Electrical CAD 2008 and that darn command doesn't work...is there another way to do this ??

no, i don't see them....and i forget how to load them. it's been awhile since i have had to do that and my memory doesn't serve me well anymore....unfortunately!

The option is normally available during the initial installation of AutoCAD. If you did not install ET you can still do so by using the Add/Remove feature in Windows. Have your installation disk on hand.

Check one thing. Type CUILOAD at the command line then press the Enter key. Do you see an entry called EXPRESS in the Loaded Customizations Group?