Diameter Dimension

Hello all,

I am pretty new to AutoCAD and I have a question about diameter dimensions. When I dimension diameters all I get is a leader line and the diameter. I would like to get a complete dimension line with two arrows and the measurement. Attached is what I would like the dimension to look like. By the way I got this image from another post in this forum it is not my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated.moz-screenshot.jpg

arrows.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried but it still only shows a leader line. If you have other suggestions, keep em coming.

Thanks again.

I just noticed that it works when I place the text outside of the circle but when I move the text inside the circle it changes to a single leader line. It would be great if I could have the dimension inside the circle and complete dimension line.

Sorry the picture I attached was misleading.

Ok, you had me scratching my head there for a second. I didn't realize you were trying to get the dimension on the inside. See below:

Edit: If you check all 3 of the boxes shown below, you will have the freedom to place your dimension inside or outside the circle and you will always have your leader lines displayed as you want them.

DimDia2.jpg

I just exploded the dimension and did things manually.

Thanks for all the help. I'll still take suggestions for future use.

That's a bad habit to get into. There is no reason to ever explode dimensions. If you set up your Dimstyle the way I showed in my previous post, you will be able to dimension circles exactly the way you were asking.

Yes I agree with Cad64,

It is very wrong practice.

I tried few methods & easily achived what u r trying to say.

So if you have problem post a detail senario with sizes & all or a screen shots of the properties of the dimensions. & we wil try to help u achive what u need.

you can post a drawing itself & someone will have a look & let you know whatis it that u r doing wrong in it.

Might the problem be that you don't like the way AutoCAD draws diameter dimensions :cry:

Try drawing an aligned dimension, and you might like it better :D

Thanks for all the responses. Cad64 your suggestion worked perfectly. Too bad I didn't see it before I exploded the dimension. The think the reason I didn't see your suggestion is that I had the forum open for a while and responded before hitting the reload button on my browser. Woops!

Anyways thanks a lot and I will definitely remember this in the future.

• 2 years later...
Ok, you had me scratching my head there for a second. I didn't realize you were trying to get the dimension on the inside. See below:

Edit: If you check all 3 of the boxes shown below, you will have the freedom to place your dimension inside or outside the circle and you will always have your leader lines displayed as you want them.

Thank you very much! I had the same problem

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I have a question related to this topic. I solved my problem of writing diameter dimension inside the circle with both arrows. However according to drawing standarts, circular dimensions doesnt have Ø sembol if we see whole circle. How can we make dimension style write circular dimensions without Ø symbol?

Thanks in advance.

Which standards are you citing? A complete circle would call for the diameter symbol. Anything less then a complete circle is identified by the radius.

Which standards are you citing? A complete circle would call for the diameter symbol. Anything less then a complete circle is identified by the radius.

I agree. Where did you see a different standard?

Hi guys,

I have a question related to this topic. I solved my problem of writing diameter dimension inside the circle with both arrows. However according to drawing standarts, circular dimensions doesnt have Ø sembol if we see whole circle. How can we make dimension style write circular dimensions without Ø symbol?

Thanks in advance.

That sounds exactly backwards to me, but all you have to do is use a linear dim with or without the extension lines suppressed, your choice. Run it from one quadrant marker to the one 180 degrees across from it.

• 2 years later...