CTB. vs STB. plot styles

Cadfused

CTB or STB Plot Files. Which do you prefer?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. CTB or STB Plot Files. Which do you prefer?

• CTB
    • STB

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to get a general input from our AutoCad community on your preference and why for CTB plot styles and STB plot styles. In short, I am in the Architectural field and where I work, once there was a standardised pen table list for our drawings. The big mishap was that the pen styles were saved to each computer hard drive instead of on the network and what once was a list of, maybe 7 or so CTB styles has now become many differening from work station to work station. I'm spearheading getting back to a standard so our drawings plot the same line weights from studio to studio in our facility. I asked a couple others to aid me in this. One is leaning heavy to using STB styles, though we currently use CTB. An issue, i do believe our facility would face by changing to STB would be, as i understand, the drawing has to be created and started using an STB file in order to print using it, as opposed to the originally created drawing using CTB. is this myth or fact? What do you prefer? :? I appreciate any input to aid in my decision of how to lead our Cad personnel.

Thank you,

Cadfused

Ps. if i should not reply back to you right away, our beloved filter tends to catch replies from this web site and i see it a day later when i get my junk mail report.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cadfused

• ML0940

• NBC

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the use of CTB files as they provide more of a WYSIWYG draughting environment, i believe.

in any case, it is possible to switch between the two mid-drawing should you wish to (i would advise strongly against it, however)

We use CTB files too.

You can convert between styles using the CONVERTPSTYLES command. You might want to consult AutoCAD Help for more information regarding this command before actually using it.

I and one of the two people helping me in this endeavor had tried the convertpstyles but it seems the STB's are locked in a read only format and we were unable to figure out how to turn that off. So far, you are only solidifying my thinking with regards to CTB's and STB's and hopefully i can use the feedbacks to show to this person to sway him, too. :twisted:

How does the poll work in terms of me being able to view the results? i would very much appreciate that, if you don't mind doing that for me. :P

Thanks for all of your inputs in this question.

Poll all set. Once you vote, you will see the results.

I use CTB only because it is quite sufficient for the plotting I do and CTB is company standard. I would have no problem using STB and have mucked around with it. Some say it is more difficult to learn, but I see no such problem. :thumbsup:

In terms of trying to achieve more depth to your printed drawing, is there any benefit to one over the other that any of you know of from experience? i know that i can achieve some good depth using CTB and have had some exposure to STB when i was working in the civil side of engineering, but there was little to know depth needed when doing civil, unlike in Architecture with building elevations.

we were using CTB, but have since switched over to STB for new projects. We have not had many problems using CONVERTPSTYLES. There was initial reluctancy from some to switch to STB because they did not understand it.

Could someone explain how WYSIWYG applies to CTB?

As far as WYSIWYG, that feel that it is really a mis-term. If you really did WYSIWYG, then you plots would exactly the way you seen on your screen, meaning that the plot would come out colored, all lines would be the same width. I dont' get the WYSIWYG concept.

WYSIWYG was the beginning arguement for the reluctant ones here, i tried to explain to them that that same WYSIWYG "thought" could be applied to STB also.

the way i have always used CTB's is to let the layer manager dictate how something will be plotted out; so that if a layer has a lineweight of 0.18mm attributed to it, then the entities on that layer will be plotted out at 0.18mm wide on paper.

when using CTB's, there is the option of ensuring Display Plot Styles. this is how the WYSIWYG effect is achieved.

sorry cadfly, i don't take your denigration of CTB's lightly; feels almost a personal attack

your comment that CTB's plots will come out all coloured, all lines would be the same width is not very appropriate, as if you knew how to properly set up CTB files you would know that statement is far from correct.

there is more than one way to skin a cat.

CTB's work great (and have done for the past however long i have been using AutoCAD), and I see no reason in your post to change to STB's

Thank you, NBC. I actually forgot about the setting that permits you to view your paper space layout in the as-plotted setting. It would seem both have their good points. As I was saying to my group, here, we will probably set up our CTB standard list for now and if we want to dabble in STB's at a later time, we can do so. Thank you all for your input. I greatly appreciate it. :lol:

I prefer the use of CTB files as they provide more of a WYSIWYG draughting environment, i believe.

I too use CTB files most of the time. I typically need to use the CTB of our client (we are typically a sub-consultant) and almost all of our clients use CTB. STB works well enough when you understand it. I'm just more familliar with CTB I guess.

I agree with the WYSIWYG thought- besides the "display plot styles" option (that I do use) you get used to seeing colored lines as they will print in B&W once you have the CTB arrangement memorized.

Good point, Chulse. Since we do deal with other disciplines in the construction field, it may be best for us to keep with what most industry works with. It may cause a lot of confusion for other disciplines we work with if we would need to send them an STB file to print our drawings and they would not have the knowledge or know how to do it. Thank you.

Good point, Chulse. Since we do deal with other disciplines in the construction field, it may be best for us to keep with what most industry works with. It may cause a lot of confusion for other disciplines we work with if we would need to send them an STB file to print our drawings and they would not have the knowledge or know how to do it. Thank you.

yes this is correct.

I am using autocad for long time but have no clue about STB.

It may be very good feature, but bcs having worked with CTB all the time, That is what I prefer and it is good practice to use what most of the people works with.

Hello. Thank you for confirming my thoughts. Pardon my lack of knowledge but what is "BCS"?

love your Shakespear quote and reply, by the way. :)

Hello. Thank you for confirming my thoughts. Pardon my lack of knowledge but what is "BCS"?

love your Shakespear quote and reply, by the way. :)

Thanks,

bcs- stands for because.

I have some peculier shortcurts for words i use when replying to this & another site like this for example

'u' for 'you'

'r' for 'are'

'bcs' for because.

I try not to use it in professional emails or documents but sometimes and this habits gets me into trouble sometimes while doing fromal emails or documents.:oops:

L.O.L.

Thank you for explaining the "BCS" mystery to me. I was thinking in Cad when I read that and couldn't recall any command or setting by that. I wasn't thinking in terms of short cutting words. Sorry about that.

Does anyone know, aside of the possible confusion of STB's, is there any apparent benefit of it over CTB's at all? I guess it just offers options to those that like having the ability to make choices. :geek: