how to know what unit of measurement I'm using?

13tildawn

hello, im dawn, a newbie

i have a question

how could i know if i'm using meters, and not inches, feet or millimeters? and how to set autocad to use meters not inches, feet, nor millimeters.

many thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 13tildawn

• Dadgad

• Rizalyn

• azzro10

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello!

ok ill browse, thanks for the reply, ^^ i think why these questions comes up a lot because autocad doesnt indicate m, in, ft, or mm, on the main workspace ^^

thanks!

Guest Alan Cullen

The problem is, one acad drawing unit can be any unit you wish it to be, e.g. 1 acad unit = 1mm, or 1 acad unit = 1 ft.

To know what units were used in the original drawing, you really need to identify a couple of points that you know the distance between, then measure between those points. That way you will soon work out what the original units used were.

thanks for the replies guys

actually im learning autocad by myself so i'm a little frustrated. sorry^^

anyway, im asking because 1meter of course is different from 1feet when printed or plotted, no matter what scale it is, it's different

so i have to know if unit ill be working with is meters or feet ^^ thanks!

• 5 years later...

Hello, I'm having the same problem. But the only difference is that, I wasn't the one who made the drawing. It is from our client and I have to figure out which unit they used in order to proceed with the cutting. When I checked the unit, it appears to be in inches. I changed it to millimeters because that is what I need but then nothing seems modified. Whenever I create my own drawing, I always choose "acadiso" which is automatically in millimeters. Can anyone help me? Is there a command also to sum up all perimeters & areas of selected objects?

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

The command that will help you figure out what is going on here is -DWGUNITS (include the -).

As shown in the image, means that the drawing is created with mm database units, as if you had created

the drawing using the ACADISO template.

Go slowly, and follow the prompts.

I would suggest that you create a copy of your drawing, and experiment on that first,

until you are sure you know what is going on with the scales.

You will want to confirm when you are through that some known dimension in the drawing makes sense.

It might be something like the diameter of a hole in some steel, or thickness of a flange, whatever.

I use this all the time to ensure that the models with which I am working are what I expect them to be.

Occasionally, when checking afterwards I will find that a hole which I might expect to be diameter 18mm

is 457.2 mms, and that lets me know that I need to scale it from INCHES to MMS by a factor of 0.0393700787.

If you could post the drawing, minus any proprietary information, title block etc, or just a small portion of it,

I would be glad to take a look at it for you.

-dwgunits history.JPG

By the way, I am new to autocad and I use this for waterjet cutting. But some of the autocad files I am receiving are way too small when I convert them to waterjet application. So, I am scaling the design to 1000x. But then, only the designs were scaled. When I tried to find the dimensions--- well--- I can't see coz it's too small. My question: How can I scale the file so that all the drawings in it including all properties are scaled too.

By the way, I am new to autocad and I use this for waterjet cutting. But some of the autocad files I am receiving are way too small when I convert them to waterjet application. So, I am scaling the design to 1000x. But then, only the designs were scaled. When I tried to find the dimensions--- well--- I can't see coz it's too small. My question: How can I scale the file so that all the drawings in it including all properties are scaled too.

It may be that the dimensions are found in the PAPERSPACE. There may be a few ways to scale these correctly, but I think other people will explain it better than myself, so I'll let them help you out :)

Edited by SAFeSTeR