• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Coosbaylumber

• dumfatnhappy

• delliott

A fairly good release but r14 was by far the best of that bunch (9 thru 14). Didn't care much, nor did we bother to upgrade to the ones in between).

R9 was the first AutoCAD I saw but I started with R10 when it was first released. I agree with ReMark that R14 was a great release but I did a lot of my best work on R12 DOS and for me, that was THE classic AutoCAD release.

no idea about the R9 but when i got introduced to cad, got the chance to work on R12 & R13 a bit. than i had aformal training from autodesk's authorised training center on R14. So yes I can vouch for R14 to be a good version. than i worked in R2000 & R2002.

after that got the chance to work back on R14 with DRC, and it was better than R2002 in many ways for architectural purposes.

Ahhhh...the good old DOS days. Yep. Fond memories of tweaking the autoexec.bat and config.sys files not to mention coming up with macros and editting the menu file. Jeez, seems like almost yesterday. And let's not forget troubleshooting IRQ problems. Almost makes me wish for an old 386 machine. NOT!

Ahhhh...the good old DOS days. Yep. Fond memories of tweaking the autoexec.bat and config.sys files not to mention coming up with macros and editting the menu file. Jeez, seems like almost yesterday. And let's not forget troubleshooting IRQ problems. Almost makes me wish for an old 386 machine. NOT!

... & shelling out to XTREEGOLD to do all the file management... multi-tasking!... superb!

Anyone recall the memory manager program that used the be the rage back then. I think it was QEMM. It could tweak all kinds of settings to get your 386 or 486 computer running like a well tuned machine. Of course, that was at a blazing speed of 25-50MHz. Seems like a real dinosaur now doesn't it?

QMEM?

I started on Release 11. :)

I actually miss the digitizer sometimes. I've been wanting to track one down just to have one.

Thanks Hedge, that's the one. I use to tinker with all the settings and parameters like a mechanic working on a car's engine. Just...a...little...more...speed...pleeeeeeeeeze.

Hey, I still have my copy of MS-DOS version 5.0 User's Guide and Reference sitting on my bookshelf. Blows off dust. Achoo!

QMEM?

I actually miss the digitizer sometimes. I've been wanting to track one down just to have one.

I started with v2.6....and 386 486?? what about 286...or 8088:o (XT) ?? and I STILL use the digitizer (at home)......funny as I had catarac surgery in both eyes with these fancy a$$ lenses put in.....now the digitizer is just out of my "close" range.....I hit the commands from memory I've been using it so long. About to move to 2009 which will be interesting with the CUI. I've worn out about a half a dozen pucks now. All kinds of spare parts on the work bench. :P

you can find tablets on ebay for $300(12x12)-$650(12x18)

ok, now where'd I put my teeth........

Who could forget such favorites as:

Device=C:\DOS\Himem.sys

Device=C:\DOS\EMM386.exe

DOS=High, UMB

Shell=C:\DOS\Command.com c:\Dos\ /P

Devicehigh=C:\DOS\Ramdrive.sys

Ol' digitizer? Hey, I still use one (Calcomp DB III) and a sixteen button mouse! Who you calling old?:lol:

LOL, I'm old. I used to flyyyyyy on that digitizer! But I wouldn't want to go back to it now, after so many years without it.

QMEM?

I still have one of the clear plastic template things that you'd have to tape down to the digitizing tablet, then calibrate. It's around here somewhere.... :wink:

OMG! Yes, good ol' "DOS" before Window versions! I remember having the hardest time trying to learn "DOS". Eventually I got it! Thanks now for Windows and no more DOS.

Oh yea! The tablet, I didn't like the tablet!

And I do remember tree managers!

Sure am glad times advanced things! LOL

I remember having the hardest time trying to learn "DOS".

Thanks to DOS, I forced myself to memorize all the shortcut keys. I haven't ever used toolbars except for pretty much just dimensions.

Funny though, for the longest time the cry was "DOS is dead" but whenever one experienced a problem in the earlier versions of Windows the first piece of advice given was to open a command window and then enter the following (DOS) commands!