Can't change lineweight?!

Evil_eyes

Hi! Obviously today is not my day! Whatever...here is it THE PROBLEM! Somehow i can't draw lines with different lineweight. I can change the color and the linetype but the lineweight doesn't. In the properties toolbar over the workspace the last option (after lineweight) is not active and shows bycolor!I suppose that is the problem why i can't draw lines with different lineweight!Can you give me a hand bout this?

...sorry! I just saw that the option was turned off! I hate myself!

And, how did you turn the lineweight option on? :unsure:

I believe he's talking about the "Format" menu > Lineweight, or type LWEIGHT at the command line. In the "Lineweight Settings" dialog, check the box for "Display Lineweight".

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I'm just a beginner in autocadd.Why I can't change the lineweight directly from the "layer properties manager"(I can change the color though)?The only way that I can see the changes is when I type the command "LWEIGHT", tick "display lineweight". My understanding is that you can do the same straight from the "layer properties manager".

Line Weight for all you new kids, is down at the bottom of the page with osnap and otrack toggle buttons... you can toggle the display on and off. I use to CTRL+P and preview to do this but someone told me how on these forums... these old geezers with 24k posts are rather general someitmes it makes it hard for us new kiddies.

ReMark

Yes, you should be able to assign lineweight in your Layer Properties Manager but it won't display unless LWT is enabled.

That's what Im saying, the color automatically changes but the lineweight doesnt.

ReMark

Yes, you should be able to assign lineweight in your Layer Properties Manager but it won't display unless LWT is enabled.

That's what Im saying, the color automatically changes but the lineweight doesnt.

My television does not display animation unless I turn it on, nor does my computer monitor. How can you expect your lineweights to be displayed if "Display Lineweights" is turned off?

Maybe I do not see your problem?

thanks guys for the reply, my only problem is in the layer properties manager, if the lineweight color can change and see the effect immediately, why not the developer of autocad do the same for lineweight( line weight has an off/on display while the color does not).

That's an issue you would have to take up with AutoDesk.

Personally, I want to have the default (no display of lineweight) stay the way it is. I would rather have the lineweight displayed only when I want it to be.

To have the lineweight automatically displayed in each and every new drawing you create couldn't you write a lisp routine that turns it on?

thanks guys for the reply, my only problem is in the layer properties manager, if the lineweight color can change and see the effect immediately, why not the developer of autocad do the same for lineweight( line weight has an off/on display while the color does not).

There is no such thing as lineweight color, there is such thing as line color. If you had a monochrome monitor or your monitor turned OFF you also wouldn't see your line color change, color has to be turned on, same with lineweight, if you have lineweight turned ON you WILL see the changes as they occur.

Let me explain something to help you better understand.

Lineweight works differently in AutoCAD when compared to graphics applications like Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop or Inkscape. Lineweight is something that is set for plotting purposes, not for on-screen display purposes. You see, in Adobe Illustrator (and comparable applications) you set the object to a particular thickness and it represents the object in the literal visual sense on-screen. Notice in AutoCAD, when you toggle the Lineweight thicknesses to ON, and you set certain objects or layers to the desired thickness, it actually doesn't represent the true literal visual sense when in Model Space. If you zoom in or out, the Lineweight actually maintains the exact same on-screen thickness no matter what scale you're zoomed in at (There are workarounds but I won't get into that right now).

Most people who use AutoCAD don't even use the Layer Manager to set their Lineweight thicknesses, but use a Plot Style with predefined lineweights based on a color palette consisting of 256 different colors (eg: CTB Plot Styles) or a manually configured plot style with a desired naming convention (eg: STB Plot Styles). People who operate AutoCAD have different uses for Lineweights and if you're familiar with the way Line Thickness work in other applications, then my advice to you would be to completely forget about how you expect line thicknesses to work when you open AutoCAD.

I'm only assuming that you are coming from a background where you've used line thicknesses before in another applications prior to using AutoCAD. If not, and you're brand new to Lineweights and line thicknesses, then my description should still help you understand better regarding this topic.

Hope this helps clarify some things for you. 8)