Autocad v8 and 9

malevy

I remember using version 8 and 9 back in 1986 or 87. We loaded it on the machine with 5-1/4" disks and the speedy 286 machine with math coprocessor chip that cost more then the entire computer haha.. There was no copy protection back then so I had it on my machine at home and i thought i was super architect lol.. the only thing i was missing was the superman cape.

• 1 year later...
I remember using version 8 and 9 back in 1986 or 87. We loaded it on the machine with 5-1/4" disks and the speedy 286 machine with math coprocessor chip that cost more then the entire computer haha.. There was no copy protection back then so I had it on my machine at home and i thought i was super architect lol.. the only thing i was missing was the superman cape.

I am thinking that back in about 1980 a few of the Future Exec's to Autodesk came over to our firm and took a look at what we had. Our firm was in the Civil Engineering and architectural biz. at the time, and we had a computer, plotter and tablet all to do our drawings with off our home brewed software. We were the first in the whole of county to even operate a plotter.

A good year later on, they sent us a thank-you note and a cartridge (floppy disk was not on the market yet) with the software loading on, and asked to compare. One fellow got a IBM 8086 for Christmas, and it was up to the geeks to figure out a way to load up the softwear onto it using the drive on the mainframe that worked with the cartridge. They had to make up some cables in my room, which took 1/2 day, and the actual transferr took like five minutes. But the 8086 was going then. The 8086 also had less than one Meg. of memory.

That initial version (not on the market yet) was rather crude and basic. Our software on an Alpha-micro far exceeded the demo (freebie) version. Then we got hit with a lawsuit at end of week, and all look-into was then forgotten. But I do remember we had more features in our basic software than they did. They had to use coordinates for endpoints, same was we did. For the common graphical monitor was still on the future.

Those guys for the Bay area refused to identify themselves as I remember, but one of the show offs knew who they actually were.

Wm.