Trim Solids

robinfly

I am having trouble trimming 2 solids to the same surface in Autocad 14. What is the best method to trim or create the image in the attached DWG. I need to be able to have the center of the tube section hollow and protrude through the top and bottom flange.

This is a weldment that I need to make. It allows product to pass through the center.

Please see attachment.

I tried to upload a GIF but had an error doing so.

Thanks.

dribble tube.dwg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rustysilo

• robinfly

• ReMark

• SLW210

Maybe use the subtract command to remove the cylinder area from the plates?

Or does that remove the cylinder too? If you did the outside of the cylinder first and then the inside you could use subtract and it would remove the area of the interior of cylinder as well as the plates.

Yes it does remove the cylinder also. It will leave only the portion of the cylinder that intersects with the plates. I've tried using slice and that worked to a degree, but the square plate showed a solid face when shading.

I was able to do it by sweeping a circle of the same diameter as the inside of the tube, but 1 - I don't think R14 has the sweep command, and 2 - subtracting it makes it all one entity. Not sure if that's what you want.

That's what I was thinking. And if you want the parts to remain separate you'll have to subract said cylinder from the plates and then again from the original cylinder as it appears to have a solid area in the middle.

^ disregard. I just double checked and it doesn't have a solid area...

Yes but the section of cylinder sticking out above the plate needs to be trimmed off flush.

By the way how did you create the image you posted

SLW, how did you draw the cylinder? Is there a quick way to draw it exactly where it needs to be or do you have to draw it and then move/rotate into place?

To remove the extra pipe, you can just make a cube larger than the pipe and flush with the plate and subtract or taper faces or slice. I just rotated the cylinder using the reference option, once I lined it up with the tube. In 2008 you can just sweep up a centerline, though.

I do screen grabs with snag-it, you can use Printscreen and paint. Save as .jpg.

I noticed when creating the cylinder you have the option for axis endpoint which lets you place it wherever you want. Very cool. I was able to draw it right where it needed to be by snapping to the centers of the endpoints.

Tip: If you use Alt-Print Screen it will only grab the active window as opposed to the entire screen.

Sure. SLW is pretty good with this stuff.

If you have the funds I recommend upgrading to '08. Well I guess '09 now. It has new 3d features like sweep and loft which can come in handy I'm sure.

Though a day late and a dollar short....what i typically do is just make a copy of the tube and move it, say, 12 units away and then use the subtract command to make the cut into the plate for the tube, itself. After that, i just move the copied tube 12 units back into place replacing the subtracted one. if the idea is to have the tube flush with the face of plate, from there i would use the slice command and pick three points on the surface of the plate to cut the tube flush with the plate. for now, that may help you in release 14.

• 4 years later...