Move objects between layers

itsme_dougp

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to move all the objects in a drawing to one layer so I can delete the other layers. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Well, that's not quite as straightforward as you might think.

You can window select your entire drawing, or hit Ctrl+A to select everything and then go to your Layers toolbar and pick a layer from the list box. This will move everything selected, to the layer you choose. The problem is if you have blocks in your drawing, the entities inside the blocks may hang on to the layers they are currently on. Therefore, you will not be able to PURGE those layers from your drawing. You will have to REFEDIT the blocks in order to change the layers that the entities are on.

Thanks CAD64.

I did what you said, at least I think I did, but the object is not showing up on the selected layer. Properties is saying it's on the layer I selected but I'm not seeing it there. There are no blocks in the drawing, only a template on layer "0" and 6 lines on another layer. But I can't seem to get the 6 lines on to layer "0".

If you selected the 6 lines and then picked layer 0 from the Layers toolbar list box, then those lines should be on layer 0.

You said that "Properties" tells you the lines are on layer 0, correct? If that's the case, then why do you think they are not on that layer? Is it because their color didn't change? If that's the case, just set the layer color for the lines to ByLayer in the Properties palette.

HaHa, forgive my ignorance, and I'm not trying to be flip, but I think they are not there because I can't see them. I don't care what color they are I can change that. I mean, properties says they are red and they show up red on the layer I want to move them from so unless they are black on layer '0' then they are not there. And yes properties says they are on layer '0' but they are only visiable on the layer I named "Tool". If I turn off layer "Tool" then the objects are gone. Not to go on and on here but the reason I want to delete the other layer is because I want to move these objects to a drawing for work and my company prefers we only use one layer. If I copy them the way they are now they will bring in that other layer with them to the drawing for work.

Are you sure those lines are not blocks?

If you move a block from Layer "Tool" to Layer "0", Properties will tell you that the block is on Layer "0", but the line entity, inside the block, is still on Layer "Tool". So when you turn off Layer "Tool", the lines will disappear.

I sure do appreciate the help Cad64 but maybe I'm just too green to get it. Or maybe there is information I'm leaving out because I just don't know enough. I have managed to get the objects on to layer '0' and if I turn off layer 'Tool' everything is there on layer '0'. But, if I select and delete everything off layer 'tool' so I can purge the layer, then there is nothing at all on layer '0'. I could have simply redrawn the damn thing hours ago. It's 6 lines! HaHa, but now I'm obsessed, I HAVE to figure out what I'm doing wrong. That and I'm sure this will come up again for me. I'll understand if you give up on me.

Well, if you have moved everything to Layer "0", then there shouldn't be anything left on Layer "Tool", right? So there is no need to delete anything. Just Purge Layer "Tool". Maybe you should post the drawing so I can see what's going on.

I got it.:shock: It was as I expected, I wasn't providing enough information. I drew this stupid little thing about a month ago when I had been using AutoCAD for a whole week. It's been 5 whole weeks now. HaHa. Suddenly it dawned on me that I had no "defpoints" layer in this drawing. Apparently I had renamed "defpoints" to "tool".:oops: So I just renamed "tool" back to "defpoints" and copied the object to the drawing I'm working on. No extra layers. Thanks for all the help! Hate to wish the summer away but I can't wait for fall when the AutoCAD class starts at the college.

Thanks again! :)

For my next trick, I'll attempt to change the text color of editable attributes in a block. But that's for tomorrow, it's 11:00pm here in NY.

Actually I figured it out on my own. I exploded the block, selected the attributes and changed the color in properties. Then made the block again. Probably an easier way to do it that I'm unaware of.

• 3 years later...
If you selected the 6 lines and then picked layer 0 from the Layers toolbar list box, then those lines should be on layer 0.

It's an old thread, but it's what came up in Google and helped this newb to fix something.