Adding Tread to a Tire?

CADken

Okay, I've found some very interesting stuff but I'm not sure I'm searching right... I'm trying to see if anyone have ever posted about how to add tread to a tire?

I've decided to go more in depth with my fire engine model and after reviewing pictures of our apparatus' tires I've decided to tackle them head on...

So far I've got the "face" of the rim to where I think it looks good, it isn't to scale and I decided to make it big so I wasn't crammed into a corner trying to add the tiniest details...

Here it is:

rim.jpg

Now I just need to work out the tire and rest of the rim.

Anyway, any pointers on adding tread?

Oh, and here is the meat and potatoes i'm working with:

enginetireandrim.jpg

The tire has a slight "bulge" to it but I left the top portion of the tire pretty much smooth, I'm wondering if adding tread could be done by subtracting material?

Anyway, I posted this on another forum, but figured I'd share here as well.

well, I found my answer, anyway it'll have to wait for another day...

here is an update of the rear wheels... I'll be creating the chassis for the body to sit on within the next few days... after the chassis I'll create some of the basic suspension components and perhaps work on creating a somewhat decent model.

truckrimsmetal.jpg

It couldn't be easier...

Make a polyline of the profile of the tire.

Revolve it.

Make your innards. Revolve them

Extrude your innards.

One Autocad tire :)

See attached dwg.

tire.dwg

kari_sinkko:

I think CADken was looking for something a little more aggressive when it comes to the tread. Something along the lines of a truck tire. Your example, while good, would be at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Something like this:

Heavy truck tire.jpg

If you're doing it in autocad then you have to construct 2 3D profiles... one of the tyre at it's max dimensions & one of it when it is totally worn (i.e. without tread)... then draw on a 3d section of your tread pattern to subtract from the outer profile & array this around the tyre... subtract the worn profile from these arrayed treads to get the correct tread depth & curved faces... then subtract the treads from the outer profile... job done.

It couldn't be easier...

Make a polyline of the profile of the tire.

Revolve it.

Make your innards. Revolve them

Extrude your innards.

One Autocad tire :)

See attached dwg.

Thanks but this is going to be a SketchUp project only... I could easily create one in AutoCAD as well, but for this I wanted to remain a project soley modeled in SketchUp.

kari_sinkko:

I think CADken was looking for something a little more aggressive when it comes to the tread. Something along the lines of a truck tire. Your example, while good, would be at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Something like this:

[ATTACH]5337[/ATTACH]

nice example, I'll have to save that one for future reference.

If you're doing it in autocad then you have to construct 2 3D profiles... one of the tyre at it's max dimensions & one of it when it is totally worn (i.e. without tread)... then draw on a 3d section of your tread pattern to subtract from the outer profile & array this around the tyre... subtract the worn profile from these arrayed treads to get the correct tread depth & curved faces... then subtract the treads from the outer profile... job done.

Again, these are great tips for AutoCAD and can be applied to SketchUp, different terms, but thanks for the input!!

here's my finish product for the engine, right now they aren't extremely detailed, but they have enough detail to not appear to be too smooth...

finalrims.jpg

• 1 month later...
here's my finish product for the engine, right now they aren't extremely detailed, but they have enough detail to not appear to be too smooth...

finalrims.jpg

Looks great... I love this tool!

• 1 year later...