Autocad MEP 2009 Question

Skeeps

Running LT 2004 ath the moment so, way behind. I work for a building services company and have recently been told I can have a load of cash to go and spend on either upgrading or getting something more suited to our buisness. That's when I staerted to look at MEP, but as far as I can see on the Autodesk website it is more of a designing package rather than a drafting tool. I'm wandering for instance do I have to be a mechanical engineer to do a duckwork drawing.

So after saying all that, what are poeples views on MEP and other products out there aimed towards M&E draughting.

Perhaps I might be best just upgrading to LT2009?

We have MEP 2008 but don't use it now... the materials catalogs just aren't there to back it up (e.g. valves, specific manufacturers tee's bends etc. very generic) & it's difficult to find people off the street who know how to use it.

We now use CadDuct who have invested time & money in getting a good base for their catalogs (http://www.cadduct.com/transportserv.html) which are constantly being updated. It's not as clever as MEP (& 2009 has some really nice features) but it's used far more within the industry so if you have to employ new people there's more of a chance they'll have used the system (or if you move on it's more useful on a CV).

With either system you do have to become a virtual fitter allowing for everything bar the actual nuts & bolts holding it all together.

Nooooooo, you MUST insist on a full version of AutoCAD 2009 at the very least. With regards to the best package for your discipline, afraid I can't help much there. I'm sure someone will be along soon with some info :)

I'm gonne have to go with Bluey here - if you get lots of big bucks to spend, why not aim for a full version?

As for MEP, I got collegues who use it. That's about all I got to say. But your question on if you have to be a mechanical engineer to do a ductwork drawing? I hope not...I'm a building engineer doing pipe drawings...lines are lines are lines - no difference there! :wink: :P

my job is CAD techinican, basically in come the archetiects drawings and then we put on our services these include lighting drawings, small power drawings, fire alarms, electrical schematics, ductwork, Air conditioning, pipework, water services, waste, refrigerant drawings mechanical schematics, erm..I'm running out now...erm that's about it really. I want to use something that could possibly make the mechainical drawings less time consuming as ductwork in particular takes ages to draw up and I cannot see how to lessen the time as with ductwork you have so many varibles with angles and thickness. Electrical is a hell of a lot easier because I've developed a symbol library (With the help of a certain spikey rodent)

When I think of drawing packages that speed up that process

for instance http://www.ibscad.com/iduct.htm this software seems to do exactly what I want apart from when entering in all the info before hand you need to know about flow rates and loads of stuff that leaves me scratching my head.

hhhmmmm....

Hmmm... both MEP & CadDuct are full 3d co-ordination packages... MEP is more usefull when doing general layouts & will change easily between single line & 3d & will produce small power symbol layouts (you can use different representation of objects for different views... eg a valve will appear as a true representation in section/isometric but can be represented as a valve symbol in plan). I think you can download trial versions of each so have a play :)

Guest Alan Cullen

I also have to go along with Blue, mate. At the very least get full blown acad while you have the money. Even vanilla 2009, you will be very happy with what you have, and can manipulate to suit what you want it to do. Lisp and all that..... :D :lol: :P o:)

ohh lisp, never tried that, could lead to hours of fun, and perhaps unlock a few doors. thanks for all advice kids. i'll keep you informed as to what i test out and eventually buy

• 2 months later...

Skeeps, I went from 2004 (full blown) to MEP 2009 2 months ago and I'm getting *killed* by the curve.. the differences are mind boggling. which way have you gone with this?

• 1 month later...

Skeeps,

I'm a facility planner and been used MEP 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009. I took courses in MEP mechanical, electrical & plumbing and found I don't have time in my work load to implement the product. I would be better going back to Autocad basic product. I find the 3D to work terrible and the 2009 will freeze for 40 sec. every now and then when I have a machine that has 3GB ram, it’s crazy. I don't see how a company can put out an expensive product that has problems and works like this. I've been thinking of going to Solidworks for make my 3D drawings. That at lease works. I find MEP is not a very user friendly product.

Skeeps,

I'm a facility planner and been used MEP 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009. I took courses in MEP mechanical, electrical & plumbing and found I don't have time in my work load to implement the product. I would be better going back to Autocad basic product. I find the 3D to work terrible and the 2009 will freeze for 40 sec. every now and then when I have a machine that has 3GB ram, it’s crazy. I don't see how a company can put out an expensive product that has problems and works like this. I've been thinking of going to Solidworks for make my 3D drawings. That at lease works. I find MEP is not a very user friendly product.

having the same trouble I said "screw it" and for less than $200 I doubled my ram from 4g to 8g. Can't say I've had a problem since. open task manager and see what your physical memory is doing. I bet you're maxed out.