Drawing 3D Curves

ChrisM

Draw out the profile then revolve.

Could you please be more specific as I am a beginner.

When you say draw out the profile, do you mean draw out the basic curve?

What do you mean by revolve?

Thank you for you help.

See the illustration below and follow the steps:

revolve.gif

1. Draw the profile for your rolling pin as shown. You can use lines, polylines, arcs and splines as required. Make sure all objects are joined end-to-end (no gaps).

2. Convert your outline to a Region, Draw>Region from the pull-down menu. Select all objects when prompted.

3. Revolve the Region to create a 3D Solid. Draw>Solids>Revolve from the pull-down menu. Select the two points indicated when prompted to define the axis.

That's it :)

Thanks for the reply.

I have drawn the shape that I want, but when it comes to using the region command, I get:

0 loops extracted.

0 Regions created.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks.

This usually happens if your objects are not drawn accurately end-to-end. You MUST use the Object Snaps to make sure everything is drawn accurately and there are no gaps or overlaps in the outline.

Thank you every body for your quick respones.

This is the final result that I managed to draw.

rollingpinacad.jpg

I would like to paste a few private questions that I asked the CadTutor that might help others:

Quote: (ChrisM)

When I'm looking at the object in wireframe mode, the rolling pin ends do not get drawn, but once I shade it, they do, why?

Also, could you explain what the region and revolve commands do(More how they work).

Quote: (CadTutor):

The AutoCAD display is often imperfect. It also depends a little on what type of object you used to define the end.

Well, there's not a great deal to say, they do what you can see they do. The Region creates a planar solid (contradiction in terms?) and Revolve revolves that plane through a specified angle about a specified axis.

Guest bbhunter

i just read the cad furom and i read the messages that you post im a new autocad user, and i just follow your instruction to draw the rolling pin but i cant do it, you know its my first first time to use the autocad. thanks and more power.

Guest bbhunter

i just draw a basic pin in step 1 and in step 2 i captured the drawing that i made and in step 3 i cant capture the point end to end... just like the demo. what should i do? is it if you draw an image it must be an accurate i mean it should equal lenght (measurement)?

thanks and more power..

bbhunter

Guest bbhunter

hi good day to all,, here i am again. thanks again to all cause a little little im getting more and more interested using the autocad. thanks again. a little help again in the point of revolution and in the angle.

you see.. im confused. in the direction(x/y axis) of revolution and in the angle of revolution.

thanks and more power.

bbhunter,

After you have used the REGION command as in step 2, use the REVOLVE command to create a 360 model.

In step 3 once you enter the REVOLVE command , you will be asked:

define axis by [Object/X (axis)/Y (axis)]:

type ENDPOINT,

then select the first point in red(Top left point of rolling pin), retype ENDPOINT and select the second point in red(Top right point of rolling pin).

Let me know how you go.

Guest bbhunter

good day to every body, i am very happy to announce that i draw a very simple drawing a rolling pin, its my first drawing using autocad.. thanks to every body. and more power..

one thing more how to add a color to the drawing that i made. so that it would look like just like the drawing above.

thanks to every body.

bbhunter,

To add color, select all the objects and choose a color using the color selector on the toolbar.

To view the object select from the menu: View>Shade>Gouruad Shaded, then use the orbit tool to rotate the object.

To add color, select all the objects and choose a color using the color selector on the toolbar.

Although this is perfectly possible in AutoCAD, it is generally considered to be bad drawing practice. You should only define colour by object if you absolutely must. Colour should always be defined by layer wherever it is possible to do so.

The answer to the question, therefore, is you should change the colour of the layer that the rolling pin was drawn on using the Layers Manager.

Guest bbhunter

hi its me again, you know im not an architect or an engineer, thats why i dont know much about some of the terms used in the autocad. thats why i just double my time to study autocad. is it ok if i just ask a question here on this topic(drawing 3d curves) or i just request to the site admin to open a topic for the beginners to ask question like how to start a drawing in autocad? or a step by step tutorial in the furom.or may be site admin may post a exercises for the members to do it and then members will submit a finish product to the site admin or a senior member for then to give a comment to the member on how they inprove their drawing skills.

site admin;

thanks and more power. one thing more any one ay help me pls thanks how to start a drawing in by layer style? thanks and more power.

bbhunter.

• 4 years later...

jyroh11:

You have added your question to the end of a thread starting and ending in 2005. You might get more responses if you select the proper forum and repost your question as a new query. Thanks.