AutoCad and MAC

smorales02

Im assuming they are compatible, but I want to know if anyone currently has a MAC and uses ACAD on a regular basis on it???? If so, how good is it? Also if I were to go with a MAC, which one would be best?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• smorales02

• icadsales

• Ritch7

Guest Alan Cullen

This is a quote from a FAQ....

Autodesk does not support the use of either AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT on Apple computers. For more information, and for system requirements for industry specific versions, visit the Autodesk website.

This issue has been discussed at various times here, so would probably pay you to do a search of the forums.

Did you know that Release 11 and 12 were both available for the Mac?

I looked into this as well and decided not to pursue it. The recommendation was to buy an Intel based Mac running the Leopard OS X with Boot Camp. I understand that the system did not perform very well (i.e. - slow).

As a part-time mac user I must ask several questions...

1. Why? Why do you need a mac if you are going to be using AutoCAD? Is there some other mac only application that you use?

2. If you go this route you have 2 options: BootCamp (dual booting) and Parallels Desktop - http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/?from=button. You can now, according to the site, get full 3D acceleration from parallels. I have not tried this so I cannot comment on if it's true or not.

3. You are going to pay more this route. Macs cost more, yes they do. The only real deal on a mac is the pro tower which for some reason is a good deal. It's not cheap but it is a good deal. Regardless of which mac you choose you will have to buy a full copy of XP or Vista and if you go the parallels route you will have to pay for it.

Let us know what you decide and good luck.

what major advantages does a MAC have....

they are so much more good looking...:oops:

nah seriously, as far as I know, and I think I'm plagirising (nice spelling, ain't it?) from another post by F700 possibly, MACs are The Thing when it comes to music and graphics and newspapers and stuff.

Even though they are bonkers for AutoCAD, doesn't mean they don't have some advantages somewhere :wink:

f700es, i agree with you I dont understand why people would want a MAC?

what major advantages does a MAC have....

Well there are reasons, we may or may not agree with them. There are some mac only applications that people use and this person may use one. Some feel more secure on a mac system, from worms and virus attacks. A mac is more secure in my opinion, not by being more secure but by being more obscure. Why make a virus for only 6.6% of the market when you can shoot for the 90% of the market? ;)

Some like the look and feel of the mac. OSX is a nice OS, it has a lot of good features. Some are down right goofy and stupid IMHO.

:? lol plagirising is quite an impressive word isn' it!

oh I see iv'e never had one just wonderd about them, so as you say they look pretty and can handle music/movies etc quite nicely but when it comes to something like autocad they haven't really got the guts inside.

well except for that "pro" one f7ooes just mentioned :huh:

hmmm

No, not quite true. They have the same guts as PC's now. The exact same, they just use a different OS. You can even delete OSX and run XP at the same power/speed of a PC. This was not true when they used PowerPC chips. The move to intel based systems was inevitable. PowerPC architecture is based on embedded chips for low power devices, not really cut for desktops and workstations. It's not that mac are better for design, print or music it's just that they are more entrenched in those markets. Much like AutoCAD's entrenchment in the AEC field. I will admit that Apple's iLife suite is a nice set of applications. Their new iWork office suite is also very nice.

:? lol plagirising is quite an impressive word isn' it!

oh I see iv'e never had one just wonderd about them, so as you say they look pretty and can handle music/movies etc quite nicely but when it comes to something like autocad they haven't really got the guts inside.

well except for that "pro" one f7ooes just mentioned :huh:

hmmm

I know of a design firm that use mac's but that is what he likes, but from a stand point of IT and Autocad I would rather run a dual boot on a mac that can run windows and mac and just switch between the two I need to run a mac program then over to windows to run autocad.

Should try it out first out on some who as one.

I know of a design firm that use mac's but that is what he likes, but from a stand point of IT and Autocad I would rather run a dual boot on a mac that can run windows and mac and just switch between the two I need to run a mac program then over to windows to run autocad.

Should try it out first out on some who as one.

Well if Apple would just make a consumer tower one could buy this and have 2 computers. Use a KVM switch and be home free. I have a dual boot setup at home and it is a pain to have to reboot to use other partition. A switch box works better. I used to use one of these but it is a PS2/VGA setup and I use USB/DVI now.

I know for a fact you can get that type of switch. out there for that.

Sure you can, I didn't want to spend the $$ for one ;) Those can be a bit expensive. My PS2/VGA switch was $20. I have yet to see a USB/DVI for under $70

Didnt know this was such a hot topic... I was just trying to see if anyone used a MAC for ACAD, but it seems like its not compatable.

I was just curious because im in the market for a new computer and wanted get some ideas on what different people use....

Didnt know this was such a hot topic... I was just trying to see if anyone used a MAC for ACAD, but it seems like its not compatable.

I was just curious because im in the market for a new computer and wanted get some ideas on what different people use....

Well you can use it, you will just have to buy a copy of windows and either use bootcamp or pay for parallels. Were you looking at an iMac?

Wasnt looking at anything in particular just getting ideas

Well here I am going to back track, if you are getting a kick-a$$ rig and the $$ is no option you will get more with a mac.

Apple Mac Pro tower: $2,899.00

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)

2GB (2 x 1GB)

500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (Two dual-link DVI)

One 16x SuperDrive

Apple Mighty Mouse

Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X

Dell Precision T7400: $4,472

2 2.83 Quad Core Xeons (8-cores)

2GB ram

500GB SATA

nVidia Quadro NVS290 256 mb

16x DVD-R/W

Keyboard/mouse

Win XP Pro

Go figure! Erase the OSX partition, install XP or Vista and roll!

Their all in one units are the useless ones. They are just missing a consumer tower.

More so than any of the others. I mean AutoCAD will run great on a sub $1,500 PC. Apple doesn't make a tower in this range. For that you get an iMac with integrated display/components.