Problem with xrefs loading

t0nnn

I guess the command got shut off or changed somehow, but here’s the problem I’m having.

Before this I could have a drawing open, open up the xref, make a change in it save and close. I would get a message in the bottom corner of the drawing saying ‘RELOAD XREF’S’ I would hit that and it would update the changes I made.

Now for some reason, if I do that same change I won’t get any message saying ‘RELOAD’ and even if I type in ‘xref’ and reload the it that way, it doesn’t update any changes I made. I have to actually detatch and re-attach it to see the changes I made. ….Any ideas?

I’m running autocad 2008 btw

thanks

Mine was set to 2, changed to 1 and nothing happened, I went back to 2 and it's still doing the same thing, no notification saying to reload

yeah it's mapped right, that's not the problem ...it's acting up when I try to reload any changes I made. I shouldn't have to detatch and reattach the xref just to see the changes.

It's weird bc say i'll change the color of something in the xref. I'll go back in the drawings, type 'xref', right click on it and reload it. Now the color will change. Note that it doesn't tell me it needs reloading.

Now say i'm in the xref and go into the layers and change some lineweights or colors. The only way I can get those changes to take effect on the sheet is to detatch and reattatch the xref.

am I making sense...maybe i'm just spewing out stuff ...I know it's atleast confusing me

Could be a VISRETAIN issue, at least partly - if VISRETAIN is set to 1 in the drawing, changes like layer color in the X-ref won't come through. Try to change VISRETAIN to 0 and see what happens.

As Tiger said, check VIS(pain in the ...)RETAIN.

So when you make some changes by adding lines or deleting lines, does it ask you to reload?

Visretain doesn't seem to be affecting anything

LCE, no it doesn't ask me to reload, even when I go to the xref box from the sheet it doesn't say it needs reloading even though it does

Straight from AUGI

A similar thing happened here a while back, we tracked it down to the time setting on our server. This was out of sync with the PC's. So AutoCAD got confused as to if its loaded the newest update yet.

We've installed a time syncing package on all PCs & the server to make sure they're set the same to the second. This seems to have solved this problem.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=821976

Have a nice word with Mr IT and see if this could be the problem.

yeah that's exactly what's happening to me, I checked with another guy here and he's not having the problem. If it's a problem with the server and time settings, why would I just be having the problem...should't everyone be having it?

I tried repairing Autocad and that didn't fix it

I tried repairing Autocad, that didn't solve it. I uninstalled completely and that still didn't solve it...i'm having a bad day it's very annoying I can't get this working

• 5 years later...