can i get help with a cross section

hi guys,

bit of a long question, but i hope someone can gimmie a hand.

i need to draw a cross section through a footpath, stairs, bank of a river, river bed and a few tube lines underneath... i dont know how to do it!!!!!!!!!

cheers guys,

What, specifically, are you not understanding? What should be shown? Or what "cross-section" means?

Can we see a plan view... or whatever you've got to represent what you're needing a cross-section of?

Do you need a crude line representation, or a [semi-]realistic rendering?

Not sure I can be of assistance but even if I can't, this is the kind of info anyone would need in order to help you.

hiya,

2.zip is the section ive been given. on another drawing i also have the heights of the river bed and the heights of the tube lines running beneath it.

i have just been told to come up with a cross section of these drawings. what i dont understand tho is, the other drawing, (tube lines) have the same heights so the lines on the section showing them would effectively be overlapping! is this right?

sorry for being a doughnut! (dumb)

thank you

2.zip

tube.dwg

Guest Alan Cullen

Without looking at your drawings. Cross sections are normaly drawn at a 1:1 distortion, so if this is a one off job, then very easy.

you say the crossing strings are 3D, I hope so, because this will not work if they are not.

Draw a line (line A) "through a footpath, stairs, bank of a river, river bed and a few tube lines underneath"

Then go and ID each elevation of the lines that are crossed, this will be your elevation (level) of the relevant points.

Then go back and measure along the line A to each of those points, that will be your distance.

Why am I doing this???? The sun is about to come up......

anyway, you now have a distance and a level for each point.

now...go to acad, and draw a polyline.

enter the fist point as the first point, i.e. X,Y, where the X = distance and Y = level.

then keep going and enter the next distance,level....

then the next distance,level.

And when you finish, you will have your cross section. :P

I suppose the first order of business would be to figure out what units you are to be working in. The 2.dwg is set up unitless, but dims appear to be metric units. The tube drawing is set up for inches, but isn't called out in the dwg.

Secondly, be sure everything is to proper scale.

Then you can move forward with the rest.

• 1 year later...