Hatch not working

nelsonrocha47

I'm using CAD2008, all of a sudden my hatch function stopped working. I've tried it in different files and new files and it still doesn't work. The problem is I can't even open the Hatch and Gradient window. Everytime I click on the hatch icon, type 'hatch' in the command line or select the hatch tool under the Draw menu the computer screen freezes. I can get out of this easily and resume drawing by pressing the esc. key but I can't get the hatch function to do anything for me. I think this happened to me once before a long time ago and I can't remember for sure but I may have re-installed CAD to solve the problem. I'm hoping there is an easier solution.

Guest Alan Cullen

My first thought is about the coordinates you are working in...are they around about 3000, 5000.....or around about 32000000, 80000000 ?

Most times hatches are set for coords close to 0,0. the further away you get, the more distorted the hatch pattern becomes.

If that is the problem, then I suggest you set your hatch box up as shown below.....

hatch origin.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I'm afraid none of them worked. I edited the problem description in my first thread to give people a better idea of what the problem is.

It sounds like your Hatch dialog is opening off screen. Go to your Windows > Control Panel > Display and set your screen resolution as high as it will go. Then try the Hatch command and see if your dialog shows up. If it does, drag it back to the lower left corner of your screen and then set your screen resolution back to what it was.

• 3 months later...

Did anyone ever find out what the problem was and how to solve it? I have the same issue using AutoCAD 2009. Whenever I invoke the hatch command the screen goes greyish and becomes irresponsive, but no hatch dialog appears. I can undo this state by pressing escape.

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid I'm having the same problem with my ACAD 2007. I just want to add that in my case the computer doesnt freeze; the hatch dialog box simply does not appear.

I have also checked in the dialog box and is not a problem that the command is not recognized or that there is an error executing it. I simply type hatch, bhatch or click the hatch button, the dialog box shows that the command has been recognized, but does nothing. No dialog box and I am free to continue with other commands.

Also, I checked other commands and they work just fine, meaning that the others do show their respective dialog box.

Thanks for any help

Have you tried Alt-Space-M + arrow keys to see if it's moved off-screen too far?

Be sure to look real close along the edges of the screen. You may barely be able to see the edge of the dialog...

• 7 months later...

rustysilo you smart ass.. that worked mate - ive had this prblem for so long but have got around it by typing "-hatch" all the time.

Too easy.

Alt-space-M +arrow keys worked for me

Cheers mate

• 4 years later...

reset the profile in the options menu

type op in the command menu

go to profiles

you will find reset

hit that a warning message will come up

hit yes

and voila - hatch is back :)