+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Default Help with complex dwg?!

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

OK, this is my first post and here is my problem...I'm new to a construction based company & I have had no real introduction to the way they setup dwg's or their standards. I have been given a dwg done by one of teh other employee's & told to "clean it up". It has hundreds of layers & Xref's and about 10 layout's setup. So far my experience has been small building businesses and this new employer is doing some very large construction jobs. I have very little Xref'ing experience& this dwg has many!

All the layout views actually seem to look OK but my boss wants all the text cleaned up and some walls moved.
    My question is:
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach this?
    When I go into Modelspace all layers are visable and its a nightmare, I haven't had any experience with associating layers to viewports. All the work I've done so far is individual dwg's for each layout page, maybe a few dwg's in teh past I've had layers that I've turned on or off depending on which layout I wish to print BUT this job is insane...if I knew how to group layers and switch them on & off I would be able to edit the walls in modelspace.
    Its something I should know but have never learnt..I have edited the various layouts in paperspace so far for the text but I need to make sense of this soon!
    sorry for the long post

Computer Details
    chulse's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Monitor:
    17" wide screen laptop w/ 22" acer
    Discipline
    See details...
    chulse's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Urban Forester
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Tree Preservation Planning for civil design and developent
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Several ways to approach things like this.

One easy way is to LOCK the viewport in paper space and work through the VP. That way you will only have the layers you want to see for a given VP.

Otherwise you might try layer states...
    Cary Hulse
    Senior Urban Forester
    Wetland Studies and Solutions

Computer Details
    Tiger's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    Computer:
    HP EliteBook 8570w
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.60GHz
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
    Monitor:
    HP
    Discipline
    Civil
    Tiger's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Education /support
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Support/Education/Retail
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

One question. is the job to clean up the DWG or the Layouts? As in, will the boss be happy if he can go into the DWG and plot his Layouts and they look good?

If this DWG is intending to be used more in the future, I think you should spend some more time in Model Space and separate stuff and organize... sounds like a real pita-job
    MTJIGSTRING = BAZINGA

Computer Details
    Hedgehog's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP sp 3
    Motherboard:
    Asus NCL-DE/1U E7520
    CPU:
    2 x Intel Xeon 7150N
    RAM:
    8 x Kingston KHX6400D2K2/4G 4 GB PC2-6400
    Graphics:
    NVidia Quadro FX 5500 1 GB Pci-X 16
    Primary Storage:
    2 x Seagte Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB HDD
    Monitor:
    ViewSonic VP2290b-2Black 22” LCD
    Using
    MEP 2009

A big problem here is that the job of "cleaning up" is usually given to someone who knows what they're doing when someone who doesn't has messed up a drawing.

My approcah from your point of view would be to go into modelspace (TILEMODE=1) & zoom extents, then go around using the LAYFRZ command to freeze off unrequired layers ensuring that nothing on those layers is still required to be visible... if that is the case you will have to create new layers to be used as visible or frozen off (whichever is easiest)... good luck

ps... if lot's of xref's are involved ensure VISRETAIN is switched to 1 otherwise you'll have to make any xref layer mods every time you go into the drawing.
    Only the lonely only ... PhotoGallery / Music

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Quote Originally Posted by chulse View Post
    Several ways to approach things like this.

One easy way is to LOCK the viewport in paper space and work through the VP. That way you will only have the layers you want to see for a given VP.

Otherwise you might try layer states...
    yeah I have done this for a few of the layouts already but still unsure of what to do with the rest...I don't know about Layer States but I'm researching now

Tiger - yes, I think the boss will be happy with a general clean up
    Hedgehog - I like your suggestion but I'm not sure if I understand your approach 100%...most just not all

OH and another thing as I mentioned its about 10 layouts consisting of various floor plans ie. RCP,Electrical & Data,Floor Finishes etc etc, this company tends to have separate dwg files for these types and other separate dwg's for the remaining types of dwg's ie.ELevations, Section & so on....SO I have started saving a copy of the first set of layouts and deleting the other layouts and saving them as individual dwg's, this seems to be working as the individual layouts saved don't bring across the unwanted modelspace objects...I'm hoping once I have done this with all of them I could xref the layouts [I have enough experience to do this, just not really pick up where 743 hours of someone else's work has got this job to now]
    Last edited by 20hurtz; 30th Apr 2008 at 11:57 am.

Using
    Architecture 2009

You might try the layer management command "lman" and see if there are some saved layer states available to turn on and off

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2008

thanks Noahma I'll look into that...there was a change of direction within the ofice and teh task was given back to teh person(s) responsible for creating teh drawing, they used by updated verison which was a little bit "cleaner"...not sure how they approached it..to be honest I don't wanna know
    I told them I went in and locked the VP's and froze off layers that weren't being used and cleaned up and matchprop'd text and dimesnions styles but that is as far as I got...I believe the original drawing was done in revit first then xref'd to ACAD...I know nothing of revit, so that probably added to teh confusion.
    thanks for all the responses, I'm making my way thru Mastering AutoCAD 2008 book atm..cheers 20

Computer Details
    rustysilo's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WinXP
    Discipline
    Civil
    rustysilo's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior CAD Draftsman
    Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    Civil 3D 2008

My first response would be:
    Take a deep breath and calm down
    "Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." ~ Jerry Garcia
    flickr |
    work | blog | creed
    rustysilo's tips & tutorials

Computer Details
    zars's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows Xp Profesional Service Pack 3
    Computer:
    Dell Optiplex 755
    Motherboard:
    Intel D946GZIS
    CPU:
    Intel Core2Duo 2.13 GHz
    RAM:
    1 GB Kingston DDR2 333 Mhz
    Primary Storage:
    Sata 300 Gb Western Digital
    Monitor:
    Dell 17''
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Well, this is a workaround I've mastered. Go into the viewport and when you're there select the text and Mtext you want to clean (change, delete, etc) then copy them to a new drawing make the changes there and copy and paste them back (delete first if necessary).
    There are only 2 things which are infinite... the universe and the human stupidity.
    "Life is not the amount of breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

This is typical for most companies now a days, in my experience you should just work in the viewports, I think someone mentioned locking the viewport. Do that, and I wouldn't start turning layers off in model because then they wont show up in the viewport, then you wont know what layers to turn back on for that viewport. OR have a copy printed out beside you to ref off of, the text should be no problem in the viewport. Try layiso/layuniso, if your text are all on one layer "more than likely" just iso them and edit everything, the same holds true for your walls that need moving. Its hard to explain through this texting, but if i were there I could help you out because I went through about the same thing. I will tell you that being thrown in like you have been will make you good at it later on down the road.