How to determine what files an x-ref is referenced into?

Thanks Leigh, will have a play with this is the very near future; and let you know how I get on.

Once again, many thanks.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LCE

• NBC

• epond

• uddfl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are welcome, hope it is roughly what you were after. Isn't great, but isn't awful either...i hope. Make sure to use the most recent uploaded.

I just had a quick look at your work Leigh. One thing I would like to mention here is that all other lisps/vba/ autorun type thingies that load & run with every drawing MUST be either unloaded or switched off, prior to running your code.

It may be easier to create a separate AutoCAD profile in fact; simply for testing stuff out; that has no customisation added to it.

Ah, yes, I will see what I can do about that.

I have some autorun 'thingies' at my end though, and have had no problems...

Thanks.

It's no big deal Leigh. I should have realised not to test anything anyway, without creating a separate Testing profile.

One thing that did happen, however, is that it ran into a JIT error, specifically "Cannot write to a closed TextWriter"

I have no idea what that means; but it happened as soon as the second drawing was opened, which contained the exact same x-ref that the first drawing in the series had.

Then in the text file it generates as it runs through; it had only listed the first drawing that contained the x-ref in question. I guess that would be normal if it error'd out on the 2nd one.

Let me know if you need any other error codes about this issue.

Thanks Leigh.

Just wanted to give you feedback. When run, this found no errors this time :)

Excellent stuff

It pretty much does what I'm after.

It would be simply awesome if it could find any x-ref's within a series of drawings (irrespective of what the x-ref is called), and report back the name of the x-ref file and the drawing that it is referenced into. Also, would it be possible to include more than one directory ?

But then, I'm just being greedy.

Will see abouts reporting all xrefs, should be pretty simple.

Not sure about multiple directories though, but again, should be pretty simple, in fact, now that I think about it, yes, should be possible.

Will have a look when I get a chance.

OK. Job done, multiple directories, lists all xrefs, and even notes the time of the search.

Just a quick 'fresh air' break, then a few more tests, then will upload it.

OK, lets just say, I love .NET, oh so easy.

Version 2.0 attached.

Allows multiple directories (only select 1 per ADD click, but click as many as you like)

Logs all xrefs found.

Specifies time and date of seach.

Please let me know of any errors encountered.

Thanks.

Job's a good un there Leigh - I take my hat off to you.

That is a really good tool to retrospectively check AND report when a drawing contains an x-ref and its actual file location

Sorry, should have asked before, would it be better just to list the xref name, or the xref path?

Either can be done very easily.

when I get some more time, I will build it up with options built in, to search for a specific xref, or any xref, and use name or path, etc. but for now, which would suit you best?

I believe the output file lists the full path to the drawing that it is xrefed into, but only the name of the xref...although I may be wrong, damn, this is embarassing, can't even remember what I did a few hours ago...