How to determine what files an x-ref is referenced into?

Is there an easy way to check what drawing files a particular x-ref is referenced into, without going through a series of drawing files which I think the x-ref may be referenced into ?

In other words, is it possible somehow to select the x-ref file, and check which other drawing files it is then referenced into ?

Please bear in mind, that variable XREFCTL is set to a value of 0, and therefore has not been creating log files.

Thanks in advance, for any help or information.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LCE

• NBC

• epond

• uddfl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, within reason...

I have a routine that will find it files that contain the xref, but there is risk that a few may be missed, although I have never had problems with it.

Ask nicely and I might try and dig out the script for you.:wink:

OK. I will see what I can find, it is quite old so may take some time, but I will get back to you as soon as I find it.

Design Center > Search tab > Look for > Xrefs

That's a useful tip indeed; but in this situation does not find anything

Are you sure the dwg was being used as an xref?

Yeah, I'm certain the dwg was being used as an xref elsewhere.

OK. I will see what I can find, it is quite old so may take some time, but I will get back to you as soon as I find it.

Any luck with this yet ?

Still looking through, have found an exe that I know contains it along with a few others, but can not find the script.

Will check through all my ext hard drives when back in the office tomorrow, must have it somewhere, if not then I will see if I can decompile the exe.

Sorry for the delay.

NBC, sorry about this, but it looks like the original script was probably on 1 of my HD's that blew up and I don't have a copy of it, and only have an exe now which compiled a range of scripts that I can not release for a number of reasons.

I will try and work it up again this afternoon, but can't make any promises.

NBC,

As you haven't made any comment I will assume you have found an alternative method for this.

Thanks.

Sorry Leigh; I've been very busy this afternoon.

If you could still continue to do your best, I would be more than grateful.

OK, sorry for my impatience.

I wlll see what I can get, enjoying the challenge of refreshing my memory, whilst also trying to make it better.

I will keep you updated as I progress.

Thanks.

OK. Just a quick update.

Nearly there now, have all the pieces all over the place, just putting together, then a final test and should have it up here by end of play today.

Cheers

OK. Job done. Tried and tested and is working fine at my end.

Sorry if this seems a bit selfish, but for the moment I am only willing to share the dll file (VB.NET).

In the near future, I may share the script and project files, although I wish to retain this for now until I am 100% satisfied with the presentation of my work.

Again, sorry.

To use the dll, extract the attached zip.

In AutoCAD type NETLOAD and select the xin.dll

Type XIN at the AutoCAD command line.

This should all be pretty self explanitory, but if you need any help with it, just let me know.

Ensure that you enter the correct xref name, this will be just the name, as would be displayed in properties>Name when selected in autocad. So if you have xrefed in Drawing1.dwg, then the xref name will be Drawing1

Thanks.

Please note that the attached file is provided as is. I accept no responsibility for loss of work or damage caused by the use, or misuse of the attached file.

OK. Bit more of an explanation, maybe a brief 1, but an explanation none the less...

With this, you will be able to select a directory and all dwg files in this will be searched through to see if they contain the specified xref.

Note that your autocad session will be unusable whilst this is running as it will manually open each file (dirty I know, but quick to script) and check for the name. If the name is found, the name of the current dwg will be added to the log file which you specified.

More of an explanation to follow, sorry, itching to play with my ACA09.

Just let me know if you have any problems with this and I will see what I can do.

Cheers