exterior building details, siding

dms256@gmavt.net

for 2-d applications Several Hatch patterns work well for siding, vert. or horz. shake.. etc. window trim can be a simple rectangle for lineals or possibly a block for more complex trim. If it's for 3-D or renderings you may want to look into MATERIALS from the Render menu.

I love this question. I handle this differently the the rest of the guys in our CAD group. This is how I do it:

Once you have the out line of your building, add a hatch. Use as may closed Polly lines as you can. Don't worry about windows, doors or any thing else for that matter. If your elevation needs some thing like 4' of CMU with metal siding above and then a standing seem metal roof, you would draw a rectangle for each and then add the appropriate hatch. Now for adding the windows, doors and lovers. For each variation of the above, create a block with a wipeout and just drop them in place. That way as things move or change, there is no trimming or rehatching. Go ahead and take a look at the attached drawing. Move things around to see how I have used the wipeouts to improve the efficiency of working with this drawing. Also not that I have only used wipeouts in blocks. That is to keep from ending up with stray wipeouts though out the drawing.

sample elevation.zip

I love this question. I handle this differently the the rest of the guys in our CAD group. This is how I do it:

Once you have the out line of your building, add a hatch. Use as may closed Polly lines as you can. Don't worry about windows, doors or any thing else for that matter. If your elevation needs some thing like 4' of CMU with metal siding above and then a standing seem metal roof, you would draw a rectangle for each and then add the appropriate hatch. Now for adding the windows, doors and lovers. For each variation of the above, create a block with a wipeout and just drop them in place. That way as things move or change, there is no trimming or rehatching. Go ahead and take a look at the attached drawing. Move things around to see how I have used the wipeouts to improve the efficiency of working with this drawing. Also not that I have only used wipeouts in blocks. That is to keep from ending up with stray wipeouts though out the drawing.

[ATTACH]5825[/ATTACH]

I might have to give this method a try at work monday, I hate having to update hatches after we move something.

• 1 year later...

Very nice 'n simple RFRUSSO!

I'm going to "play" with your instructions over the weekend.

I don't ski and there's 2+ feet of snow outside. And, get this, the woodstove is indoors along with two days of fire wood!

Thanks for the well explained routine!