Draw Text on a Curved Surface

tlawson

Using AutoCAD 2008

I would like to place some text on a curved surface such as the side of a cylinder. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Many thanks

Does the text have to be curved along with the surface, or do you just want it engraved into the surface?

One way would be to use the TXTEXP Express Tool to explode text and break it down to line segments. Then use the EXTRUDE command to create 3D solid text. Then rotate and move the solid text into position. Then use the SUBTRACT command to engrave the text into your object.

Also, check the Help files for information about the IMPRINT command.

Text on Curved Surface.jpg

Thanks for your help. Didn't manage to do it with the IMPRINT command as i could not find a way of intersecting the curved surface but managed it with your first sugestion using SUBTRACT

Try downloading an app. called "ELEFONT", its free and quite easy to use. You can use any windows font included in the application and make it 3-d then save as a DXF and import into your file, the resulting text can then be incorporated into your model. hope this helps.

Doesn't appear as if my first try at a response was added so here goes again. Download the application called "ELEFONT", its free, you will be able to convert any font into a 3-d object and then save as a DXF file. copy this into your model and use as you would any 3-d object (subtract , union etc.). It will save you time and effort as it can be used to incorporate single letters or characters or whole phrases.

Thanks for your help. Didn't manage to do it with the IMPRINT command as i could not find a way of intersecting the curved surface but managed it with your first sugestion using SUBTRACT

Extruded geometry can also be used with the IMPRINT command.

Handle.dwg

Thanks to all, especially to SEANT for the file. I never knew you could use extruded geometry to IMPRINT onto a surface. I have now achieved my goal.:D I failed before as I was trying to imprint on the curved surface with a REGION

• 4 months later...
Extruded geometry can also be used with the IMPRINT command.

seant: can you give a detailed step by step run through of how you created the green text on your red 'bullet' ?? I'm not that advanced...

cheers