Printing to PDF

DODGE

Hi Guys sorry to be a pain with this.

Allan gave me a good explanation of how to print to pdf more than one paperspace layout at a time to adobe pro v7.

I must be doing something wrong as I just can't get it to do more than one layout at a time. This is ok but it's a real pain when I have to insert around 6 layouts into one pdf file each time I need to email a job. Allan if your out there, or anybody, can you run through it again for me with step by step simple instructions on how to do it. I really mean step by step, like switch on computer etc etc:?

Cheers guys.

Dodge...8)

It's very simple.

First, create a page setup for your PDF printer by right clicking on any layout tab and select Page Setup Manager.

When the Manager dialog opens, click the "New" button

Name your Page Setup and click OK

Now set the parameters for your PDF setup by choosing the Pdf printer, plot style, plot area, etc. and then click OK to exit and close the Page Setup Manager.

Now select all of your layout tabs by holding down Ctrl and clicking all of them. Then right click and select "Publish Selected Layouts". This will open the Publish dialog.

In the "Sheets to Publish" window, hold down Ctrl and click on all the layouts that you want to add to the Pdf. Then, with them all selected, right click and select "Change Page Setup". This will allow you to select the PDF page setup that you just created and will apply that setup to all the layouts you just selected.

Make sure "Plotter Named in Page Setup" is selected and "Layout Tabs" is selected and then hit the Publish button.

Then wait for you Pdf to be created.

Guest Alan Cullen

1. Open the drawing, and go to a layout tab.

2. Open plot manager and set up a Page Setup, using the Adobe PDF as the printer, as I showed you in that other thread.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23033

3. Then go to Files > Publish

4. In the publish dialogue, hit the Add Sheets button, then go find the drawing you want and select it.

5. Remove the sheets you don't want (including the model space sheet)

6. Highlight all the remaining sheets, then under the Page Setup/3D DWF column, select the Page Setup you setup in #2

[ATTACH]5838[/ATTACH]

7. Then just hit the Publish button, and it should work......I hope.

publish1.jpg

Guest Alan Cullen

Sorry, Cad64, you got in before me while I was writing my short story. :P

Never mind, between the 2 of us we should help Dodge out. :lol:

Edit.....

Actually Cad64, your method is so much easier. Thanks for that.

Same old story, more than one way to skin the acad cat.

It's very simple.

First, create a page setup for your PDF printer by right clicking on any layout tab and select Page Setup Manager.

Now set the parameters for your PDF setup by choosing the Pdf printer, plot style, plot area, etc. and then click OK to exit and close the Page Setup Manager.

Now select all of your layout tabs by holding down Ctrl and clicking all of them. Then right click and select "Publish Selected Layouts". This will open the Publish dialog.

In the "Sheets to Publish" window, hold down Ctrl and click on all the layouts that you want to add to the Pdf. Then, with them all selected, right click and select "Change Page Setup". This will allow you to select the PDF page setup that you just created and will apply that setup to all the layouts you just selected.

Make sure "Plotter Named in Page Setup" is selected and "Layout Tabs" is selected and then hit the Publish button.

i have been doing it this way for over a year now, and since upgrading to architecture 2009 it is not working the same way. damn, this is frustrating.

it plots only the first page in the set. you can see the "bar" as if it were processing the rest of the pages, but they are nowhere to be found.

i keep getting the error "one or more of the drawings in this publish job have unsaved changes. you must save the changes before a DSD file can be created"

what is a DSD file. i never got this error before.

any suggestions on this PDF problem would be greatly appreciated.

DSD stands for "Drawing Set Description". This is the file that is created when you choose to save your drawing set, in case you want to print this same set of drawings again later.

I have stopped using 2009 until the service pack is released. I have never encountered the error you are experiencing and it may just be a problem with 2009 that will be fixed when sp1 is released. I don't have 2009 on my home machine, so I can't run any tests at the moment, so unless someone else has an answer, this will have to wait until I have a chance to look into it next week.

You may also want to search this problem on the Autodesk Discussion Groups.

thank you for your replies. i'm quite sure it is an 09 bug after spending many hours playing with the settings, and having phone conversations with cad experts in an effort to correct it.

i hope they release the service pack soon on this thing.

if any new information come up, i'd sure like to see it on this thread :D

thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

One more question.

I have some DWG files with a set of different layouts, and I want to publish them in different PDF files.

When I do a Publish in DWF, it generates automatically different dwf, with different names (basically composed of the drawing name and the layout name) .

But when i'm trying to do the same in PDF, it generates all the files with the same name (the dwg name)

Does anyone know a solution ?

• 3 years later...

I have just experienced the problem myself with receiving the message "one or more of the drawings in this publish job have unsaved changes. you must save the changes before a DSD file can be created". I looked in this thread, and only found "it's a bug". I played around with it some more b/c out of my drawing set to publish, one file would always publish, even when receiving the message. So this told me that there was something different in the other three drawing files. Find that, and I've found my problem. What I found is that the one file that would repeatedly publish with no problems had a printer setup in the page setup property as DWG TO PDF printer. The other three were printing to the PDFCreator printer. I changed the printer in the three files to DWG TO PDF and they all printed fine with no error message. So check your printer settings inside the page setup to ensure it is set to DWG TO PDF, not a PDF Creator printer. I hope this helps! It took me an hour to figure it out, so I'd thought I would post the solution here for others to see. Have a great day!

Welcome to Cadtutor Inquisitive. That's good information, but let me give you a little tip. At the top of the message you are reading is a black bar. Over to the far left side of that is the date and time that the message was posted. I only point this out because you replied to a 3 year old thread. Thats ok, nothing wrong with that, just don't be surprised if you don't get much response when you resurrect ones that old.

Jump in any time, most of us behave ourselves, most of the time :rofl:

Welcome to Cadtutor Inquisitive. That's good information' date=' but let me give you a little tip. At the top of the message you are reading is a black bar. Over to the far left side of that is the date and time that the message was posted. I only point this out because you replied to a 3 year old thread. Thats ok, nothing wrong with that, just don't be surprised if you don't get much response when you resurrect ones that old.

Jump in any time, most of us behave ourselves, most of the time :rofl:[/quote']

not every one can see the black bar, like myself, its a compatibility issue with out of date active x i believe.

not every one can see the black bar, like myself, its a compatibility issue with out of date active x i believe.

True, in IE8, if you try to view a page with programming code it will switch to "compatibility mode". You can force it back when you leave that page in the "Tools" menu at the top of the browser window.

Or do like I do, and use a different browser. Firefox works very well with this forum.

• 2 years later...
It's very simple.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

IT WAS VERY USEFUL NOTE.

B.R. Javid