2009 LT Running Slow

YZ

I upgraded to AutoCAD LT 2008 6 months ago. Have been really impressed.

Since receiving the new 2009, however, there are pauses of up to three seconds with every PAN and ZOOM. Each command has a longer pause also.

This happens more, or course, with bigger files. However these sizes ran smoothly on 2005 and 2008. I often have to revert back to 2008 just to get a job out the door.

Has anyone else noticed performance slow downs? Does anyone know any ways I can tune it to squeeze maximum performance?

That's why I stopped using 2009 and went back to 2008. I typically wait for the service pack to be released before I start using any new version of Autocad.

Hey there,

I basicly had the same experiance with 2009 especially with the Layer manager. It had me wait forever till it showed up.

Anyway I got tiered of it very quickly and got back to 2007.

Ill probably give it an other try once the service pack came out.

Sorry couldnt help you more

I had a similar problem related to the memory that Windows takes to run versus how much it gives to the other programs to run.

The thing was that Windows would take all the memory possible to run itself and AutoCAD tends to do the same thing, so at one point the two would interfere in the memory that each would require to run properly. It is actually true for every Windows version until you put a switch in you boot.ini file. That switch you put into your boot.ini file restricts Windows to run on a 1GB memory and lets all the other programs to use the rest of the memory free on the computer.

Since it is not something not complicated to do, but can be harmful to your computer if not done properly, Windows wouldn't run at all, I will let you make your own research on the subject. Maybe, I'll come back with the procedure if you are interested. You just have to enter something like « /3GB » at the end of one line of the script and reboot your computer after.

The head of Autodesk Canada came to my office to see what was our problem and this was his solution and since we put in that switch, everything runs properly.

• 1 month later...

Now that I have been using C3D 2009 for a couple of weeks, I can now understand what you mean, I also have a hard time with the command bar, it seems like what I am typing is not getting in the command bar as smoothly as in 2008 plus commands seem to take longer to be effective.

Cad64: Any idea when a service pack will be available?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I have this problem too. . I'm running a 4gig machine. . the quickest available (3 months ago) and am still finding 2009 VERY cumbersome to run . . sorry to be asking what's probably a very easy question to answer, but this service pack. . what does it do? I've had a look on the services and support link, but the headings don't seem to point to making this lumbering beast go any faster, I guess the correct service pack hasn't come out yet?

It doesn't matter how quick your machine is. The problem is with the program. When the service pack is released, it will address many of the issues that everyone is having with the program and hopefully fix them. As far as when it will be released, that's anybody's guess?

yea i had the same problem with MEP 2009 on my work machine, which is brand new.

it takes a really long time to start up, then just hangs randomly.

plus i really don't like the new ribbon thing, i had to switch it back to the old fashion look. i cant stand not having file, format, and tools right at the top of the screen.

• 2 weeks later...
yea i had the same problem with MEP 2009 on my work machine, which is brand new.

it takes a really long time to start up, then just hangs randomly.

plus i really don't like the new ribbon thing, i had to switch it back to the old fashion look. i cant stand not having file, format, and tools right at the top of the screen.

I called Autodesk of the 40 sec lockup and they told me they are aware of it and are working on a patch. I'm running on 3 GB Ram. I also found problems running my HP DesignJet 500 Plotter that worked in 2007 & 2008 but will not work in 2009. They're working on that patch too. Unbelievable that a commpany can get away with putting out something that is not ready.

Yes I did and it didn't work. The good part is we have other plotters at our buildings that do run with Autocad 2009. It's a little inconvenion but it will work for now until a patch is developed. Hopefully that won't take long.

Right!!:?

• 1 month later...

Well there is the update 1 they released a few weeks ago but even with that, the program is a bit laggy compared to 08. I very frequently get the "not responding" message up at the top.