Stretching Viewports with grips problem..

hardwired

Hi,

Does anyone experience the same problem as me, in that why is autocad 2009 so painfully slow when you try to stretch and re-size paperspace viewports with their grips? Its almost like the snap (F9) is on, but its not and it takes a few seconds to update the the cursor position on the screen - if i take off osnap (F3) it seems to improve things but only marginally..

If i do a normal stretch command on the viewports it works at normal speed, but sometime the stretch command isn't always a practical solution..

Anyone had this before and know why?

yeah i have 2gm ram too - maybe its the drawing itself - its got an xref attached and around 5mb file size so could be just that. will just have to put up and shut up, lol

thanks

Guest Alan Cullen

Yeah, sounds like the file size is the problem. Best of luck with that. :)

Maybe open the xref up on its own, and purge it. Architects, in my experience, know nothing about doing this. It may help you.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Just to update this issue we are having, its not just my machine its happening on (note: my machine is not the spec as in my signature, thats my own home pc), its happening to at least 3 out of 8 of us but with random drawings..

All of the pcs in our office are single-core P4s except one, half the machines are AGP graphics cards, half are PCI-Express, all graphics cards are similar spec, which is quite high, and we all have 2gb of ram in each pc..

So, in various drawings, some large in file size with many layouts and lots of modelspace stuff and some small in file size with only a few layouts, this sluggish viewport resizing is occuring..

Any ideas what could be the main cause?

No i'm presuming that 2009 is mainly written for multi-core processors so could this simply be the issue?

Ive experienced this same problem in 08. Most of the time I just dealt with it but I figured out that if you turn the viewport off, then do what you gotta do, then turn it on again, it operates at normal speed.

I've just found out what the problem is (well certainly for me anyway):

Turn off your Layer Properties Manager and try it..

Seems the LPM is causing all sorts of problems, so best to only have it on when using it, not a floating or docked palette..