Binding Images to a Drawing

Broydhouse

We don't do it much but when we have had to use images we've included the image files when sending... so long as they load the files into the same directory they'll find them.

You can not bind images.

Actually you can with Raster Design 2008 or later, if the images are bitonal. More info here: http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com/2007/11/embed-or-bind-images-in-drawing-file.html

There are some other ways to "bind" images (i.e. workarounds) listed here: http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com/2005/04/binding-raster-images.html

But like you said, in most cases, just sending the image along with the DWG file is the best solution. ...and of course try and make sure both files end up in the same directory or the image may not be "found" on the recipients end

There are some other ways to "bind" images (i.e. workarounds) listed here: http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com/2005/04/binding-raster-images.html

Thanks for the link, but that isn't really binding is it.

Admittedly, I haven't tried the 2nd and 3rd option, just insertobj (OLE). What kind of quality can you get from the other options, and are they workable solutions?

Thanks for the link, but that isn't really binding is it.
Not if you mean in the same way that an xref is "bound" - but that is why "bind" was in quotes in my previous message.

Admittedly, I haven't tried the 2nd and 3rd option, just insertobj (OLE). What kind of quality can you get from the other options, and are they workable solutions?

The ToolPac image bind works great on small simple images. The more complex they get, the larger the file size and longer it takes. It would not be practical for use on a large (100MB) TIFF aerial image for example.

I don't recall the exact outcome of the 3rd option, but it did work.

Both simply convert the image into native AutoCAD entities.

Not if you mean in the same way that an xref is "bound" - but that is why "bind" was in quotes in my previous message.

Sorry, I missed the quotes on that.

The ToolPac image bind works great on small simple images. The more complex they get, the larger the file size and longer it takes. It would not be practical for use on a large (100MB) TIFF aerial image for example.

I don't recall the exact outcome of the 3rd option, but it did work.

Both simply convert the image into native AutoCAD entities.

Thanks, I will have a look into these options.

• 5 years later...
You can not bind images.

Either use ETransmit, or possible insert the images as OLE objects.

One CAN bind an image to a drawing file.

To bind an image to a .dwg: Open the image you want in an editing program, for this example we will use "Windows Paint", once the image is open in Paint, go Ctrl+A to select the image without cropping, then Ctrl+C to copy the selection to the Windows clip board. Now go to the .dwg you wish to bind the image to in CAD.

In CAD model space type: "pastespec", it will open a window, select the paint brush image option and ok. Click anywhere in model space to place the image. It is now bound to the .dwg permanently and you can resize and copy it within that .dwg as you see fit.

Spooky...

This thread is so old...

Indeed, Rob. And for the version year this original issue was discussed (AutoCAD 2007) I do not believe Ross Nel's post will work. At some point, AutoCAD created embedding functionality with raster images although I can't recall which version it came about.