How can I use tracking to start a line from an existing line

Guest g-dub

Hi there

Without using the "ID" command to start a line, can I track from the end of a line (or on an angle) by selecting the first ref point and inputting the distance using the number keys. i.e-- I want to draw a line at right angles to my base line starting 100mm along its length.

Another quick one....Is there a keyboard shortcut to periodically save instead of clicking on the icon all the time ?

Cheers............gdub

(p.s I'm new here :) )

If you want to draw a line 100 units in from the end of another, you can. Make sure you have both OSNAP, POLAR and OTRACK turned on and that Endpoint is one of your running object snaps.

Start the line command, hover over the end of the existing line until you see the endpoint icon, point the cursor along the line, using polar to snap to horizontal (assuming the first line is horizontal), enter 100 at the keyboard, point the cursor in the other direction (vertical) and enter the length of line you want. That's it.

Mr T's comments are sometimes rather abrupt.

Welcome to the forum :)

Abrupt ? :? Just short and to the point. :D

Use ORTHO and DDR. Direct distance entry.

So click on a start point then type in a lentgh,use ortho

and enter.

Does that help ? Need more advice ? :shock:

Welcome to the forum. 8)

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again Mr T

I've only just seen this reply. Short and to the point is cool, as they say in certain circles "Just the basic facts Sir"

Thanks for the help and the welcome.....................g

Thanks Kate

The first lesson I had drummed into to me regarding my CADwork, and continually since was "Constantly save thy work o:) " and not to risk a possible mental breakdown by trusting to the Autosave option.

So thanks for that. Having to click the save icon with the mouse could sometimes be a wee bit of a pain by interupting the creative flow....or something like that.

Cheers............g

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone. This is my first post here.. Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I need some help and found this using search.

If you want to draw a line 100 units in from the end of another, you can. Make sure you have both OSNAP, POLAR and OTRACK turned on and that Endpoint is one of your running object snaps.

Start the line command, hover over the end of the existing line until you see the endpoint icon, point the cursor along the line, using polar to snap to horizontal (assuming the first line is horizontal), enter 100 at the keyboard, point the cursor in the other direction (vertical) and enter the length of line you want. That's it.

This method doesn't seem to work with my AutoCad 2005LT. I also can't find the OTRACK command anywhere. I have endpoint turned on in snaps.

With the AutoCad in my school I can use the "hover over end of the existing line..." thingy. I installed 2005 LT at work today and can't find a way to turn on this same feature.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sorry, Kimi -- OTRACK doesn't exist in LT. :(

Welcome to the forum though -- hope you have better luck with your next question. :)

• 5 years later...

to draw a line 100 units from end of another, I use following procedure:

start line command

when it asks for first point, enter: from

it asks for base point, then choose the point you want to offset 100 units from

then track over the line in the direction you want (right or left, in case of horizontal distance)

enter the distance, in your ex 100 units

This gives you the first point

when it asks for second point, enter the distance and angle for second point.

This method is very close to what CAD Tutor replied except s/he didn't use from command.

I hope you like this method.