2D to 3D conversion

3Dsniper

Hello,

I have made a 3d object, but I drew it in 2d, since this is the only way I know how to draw technical drawings, (front, left and top views) and I heard that acad2009 has a function that procecess 2d drawings and converts them to a 3D drawing.

But I have no idea how it is clled or how to do this, can someone help me with this?

Thanks,

Alex de Jonge

Drawing 2d in acad since 2000

(Using 2009 now)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3Dsniper

• Hoozin

• Cad64

• JD Mather

:huh: Who told you that?

There is no magic button to convert a 2D line drawing into a 3D model. If you want a 3D model then you will have to build it using Autocad's solid modeling tools.

a system administrator of a design company (or atleast a company whre they use autocad alot)

Is there a easy way perhaps? to use the 2d drawings as splines and snap to that?

You can use your 2D drawing to help you build the 3D model by using various tools to extrude parts of the drawing, but as I stated before, you can't just click a button and have a 2D line drawing suddenly inflate into a 3D model. It doesn't work that way. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it, and there would be a whole lot of people out of work. Either you misunderstood the person you were talking to, or he was very misinformed.

Here is a site that offers free video tutorials about creating 3D models in Autocad: Cadclips.com The videos are based on Autocad 2007, but the general principles still apply.

I have moved your question to the "3D Modeling and Rendering" area of the forum.

Oh I wish there were such a command! The best you will get to that is making each view into a region then set it up to extrude into each other and finally using intersect command to get the shared areas. Thats how I would do it.

Wait Im confused, you say you made a 3D object but you drew it in 2D? If you have it in 3D why are you asking to go from 3D to 2D and then back to 3D...am I missing something here.

And no, there is no way to go from 2D to 3D. That is you cant draw your usual views of an object 2D and then from those make a 3D solid model. You can however draw a solid 3D model and from that generate 2D views of said object.

The object is a 3Dobject, but I need the drawing/model to be 3d model instead of 3 views in 2d, which is what I have now.

I'll look into CADclips and hope it'll work out (3Dsmax didn't really work for me either)

Ok, so I have managed to get all the walls up to the right height, just one problem now.. I am missing floors and roofs of this drawing. I have tried using "3dface" but this only worked well for one surface, the others have rounded edges/lines in them and I have no idea how I should tackle those.

Thanks for your help so far,

Alex

Forget about 3dface command. That is an obsolete command. Make sure you are in the 3D Modeling Workspace and use the newer tools.

JD Mather, what command would you suggest?

Go through the tutorials in my signature and then come back and ask questions.

planesurf is the rough equivalent of 3dface but more powerful as it can be Thickened and edited or used to Slice other solids.

I have allready gone through those tutorials before I found this forum, but none of them did what I was looking for.. becouse I have walles of several thicknesses connected to eachother.

It may sound stupid but I learned 3D drafting by trying out all the commands associated with 3D drafting. Open all the 3D toolbars and check all the commands on them. If you don't understand a command, go and read the help file. In my opinion, the help file is a very good resource that nobody uses.

That is how I learned 2d, and how I am now for the most part learning 3d. but I just need a way to creat the surcace in this part. if it helps I can upload the file somewhere (its to large to attatch to the post)

That is how I learned 2d, and how I am now for the most part learning 3d. but I just need a way to creat the surcace in this part. if it helps I can upload the file somewhere (its to large to attatch to the post)

Do you need to create surfaces or do you need to create solids? You're talking about creating several walls of various thicknesses and sizes. The easiest way I've found to create a wall is with the BOX command, and give it the list of appropriate dimensions. If you need to round off corners, FILLET applies to the edges on 3D Solids as well as 2D corners.

The most important thing to think of when approaching this is to think in pieces - i.e. if it's a car jack, don't think of it as a car jack. Think of it as several connected plates, bolts, and a long cylinder with threads on it. Once you can start making the pieces, the rest of the object can come together.

Oh, and I'd KILL for the magic button...

what I did is extrude the outlines of the object. wich propably was a stupid thing to do..

Absolutely not. Sounds like you're off and running :)

If you want to post the drawing at some point, I'm sure people could offer a bit more direct help :)